586,331 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: TC-22

Page 1 of 2 12

TC-22

I have my tc-22 finally back close to running with a fresh harddrive,dos install and software install and reman bmdc .
    I have one problem .
    When I enable my drives the z axis brake release and the axis drops untill e-stop is hit,
    I blocked up the axis and now I can enable the drives but when i hit 8 to home the axis I get a message that GAURDS NOT IN PLACE save to error file
    then I get HOME FAILED
    I only get the gaurds message whem i try to home so believe it has something to do with each other.
    Are the gaurds actually a protective gaurd or a safety (gaurd) in the control?
    If I watch the maint page I can look at all the parameters and can see the state change when I push the buttons on the machine like tool eject etc

Figured out the guards error I am getting.
    It means the safetys are enabled in the control and wont home axis or do much with the door on the enclosure open.
    I found this in the manual but cant find how to disable the door interlocks in the control.
    Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    Figured out the guards error I am getting.
    It means the safetys are enabled in the control and wont home axis or do much with the door on the enclosure open.
    I found this in the manual but cant find how to disable the door interlocks in the control.
    Is this possible?

If I remember right there is a parameter for it. The maintenance page should give a list of parameters and also display a description for the parameters.

Thanks for the response.
    That problem is solved,now I just have to figure out why it faults out during homing
    Thanks again

een chasing this z axis problem with no luck.
    Can someone advice me as to what proceedure to use to troubleshoot this?
    When I enable my drives my z axis will drop all the way to thr table if not for e-stop.
    If I block up the z axis I can enable the drives but within a short time the control will fault out with a z axis drive overcurrent.
    If I enable the drives and right away press home the tool carousel will home but then the z axis drive fault will occure.
    i checked the drives and have the correct power to those.
    I checked the 5v to the auf board and have correct voltage there.
    Would the problem be encoder problems or a bad drive problem?
    My machine has the Parvex motor so was hesitant to swap drives.
    The control is seeing logic from pushbuttons but as from the encoders i am no sure.
    If I am on the maint page I enable the drives and when the brake releases I try turning the ballcsrew and dont see movement on the readouts then the control faults out.
    Not sure if thr control will show any movement on the readouts at that time or not.
    Also the readout shows the z axis being at exactly -9.000.
    The chances of the acis being blocked at exacly that spot would be really small.
    This leads me to think the prblem is in the encoder circuit,
    But wouldnt explain the drive overcurrent.
    Thanks for the insght

i

tpmx57

Your Auf board voltage has nothing to do with your drive voltage

You have to check the ribbon cables that go from the piggy back board to the drives, you need to have the 5 volts there on each cable, you have it on the X & Y or they would not be working, Do you have the ribbon cable for the Z axes on the right plug coming off the piggy back board, the piggy back board has a plug for the fourth axes, you can not use this for the Z axes, If you don't have voltage at the ribbon cable to the BMDC board, first check the ribbon cable if the cable is ok then you most likely still have a BMDC Board Problem

You need to check the wiring print as to which pins to check on the ribbon cable for the 5 volts
    Mactec54

I guess I didnt explain it correctly.
    I have the correct voltage at the drives which I dont remember exacly off hand but think it was 144 volts I would have to check the manual again but was within the tolerance the manual gave.
    I also checked to make sure the auf board had 5 volts where it should,it was fine.
    The bmdc loads correctly and the cables are plugged in to the correct spots.
    I believe the furthest from the door is the A drive.
    I didnt check the cables from the piggyback board to the drives but now I will.
    What would cause a z axis drive overcurrent fault?
    Possibly a faulty piggyback board ?Have read much about these going bad.

1) Since the Z axis has not homed yet what the position says on the read out doesn't mean anything

2) The z axis is either running away or free falling when the brake releases. Since you get an over current alarm when you block the z axis up I would suspect it is running away giving you an over current as it pushes against your block. Another possibility is that the power cable to the motor is bad and shorting out. This would prevent power from getting to the motor allowing it to free fall and still allow the drive to go into over current.

Disconnect the motor leads from the drive and from the motor and check the cable for shorts and opens. If you have a megger available with the cable hooked to the motor but not to the drive meg out the motor and cable to make sure everything is good.

With the motor unhooked from the drive and the z Axis blocked up enable the drives. Can you measure output voltage coming from the drive? (If you still get an over current alarm I would suspect the drive is bad) Are you getting a signal to the drive telling it to move?

Has anything been changed with the Z axis motor and drive? Is it possible the power leads were reversed or the tachogenerator leads were reversed? (Note if you replaced either of these it is possible the new parts are not wired the same as the original as Bridgeport did not wire every machine the same)

Thanks ppascuzzi
    That gives me more to check out.
    I am sure the axis is free falling as soon as the brake is released and not the drive powering the motor down
    I am leaning toward a faulty drive but will check cables next

I was in the maint page on the tc-22 today just to check some parameters and am curious to why no parameter matches the manual
    I was looking at parameter041-042-043

the manual shows them to be 00000000192,00000000192 and 00000000224 for the z axis this is the Axis Applied Motor Voltage for x,y and z
    The control shows 14.00000000,14.00000000 and 16.00000000 for z.
    is this correct?
    No parameter matches the manual so I assume the control makes a conversion and thats what I see
    Can someone explain what I see?

I was in the maint page on the tc-22 today just to check some parameters and am curious to why no parameter matches the manual
    I was looking at parameter041-042-043

the manual shows them to be 00000000192,00000000192 and 00000000224 for the z axis this is the Axis Applied Motor Voltage for x,y and z
    The control shows 14.00000000,14.00000000 and 16.00000000 for z.
    is this correct?
    No parameter matches the manual so I assume the control makes a conversion and thats what I see
    Can someone explain what I see?
    My TC-222 manuals don't list values just parameter descriptions. I did check some other dx-32 controlled machine manuals and they had numbers ranging from 92 to 94 for values. The parameter description says the value should be max current * motor resistance to give the max voltage. Your values (14.0 and 16.0) sound way too low.

Where did you get the parameters you loaded when you installed the new hard drive? Also is it the same version of software that you had on it before?

When I I installed the harddrive I copied the bmdcprms.sys file from the old harddrive to the new after loading the software.
    I will have to boot the machine andsee what version the software is.
    My manual has all the parameters listed and an explanation but none are the same as when I check them on the maint page at the machine
    Confused about this

When I I installed the harddrive I copied the bmdcprms.sys file from the old harddrive to the new after loading the software.
    I will have to boot the machine andsee what version the software is.
    My manual has all the parameters listed and an explanation but none are the same as when I check them on the maint page at the machine
    Confused about this
    Is it the same software? Did you buy new (borrow) a new install disk? Does the version number match the software that was in your machine before? It's been awhile since I reloaded or updated a DX32 based machine but I seem to recall that some software changes required you to write down parameters and enter them by hand as the parameter numbers were different in the new software.

I was given this disk to reload my harddrive when it crashed
    I replaced the harddrive,formated .partioned it and made the partion active.
    then loaded dos and this software.
    Not sure of last version as it was lost when the harddrive crashed.
    I was able to get my bmdcprms.sys file from my old harddrive so I copied it to the new harddrive replacing the version that was on the harddrive from the reload.
    Just need to figure out if I need to go thru all the parameters and set them just to what the manual shows.
    Just want to make sure the control is not converting the input values to a value that I see when in the maint page.

I was given this disk to reload my harddrive when it crashed
    I replaced the harddrive,formated .partioned it and made the partion active.
    then loaded dos and this software.
    Not sure of last version as it was lost when the harddrive crashed.
    I was able to get my bmdcprms.sys file from my old harddrive so I copied it to the new harddrive replacing the version that was on the harddrive from the reload.
    Just need to figure out if I need to go thru all the parameters and set them just to what the manual shows.
    Just want to make sure the control is not converting the input values to a value that I see when in the maint page.

If it is not the original software and is a later update the pararamters may not be the same as the book and the Bmdcprms.sys files might not be interchangeable. Try deleting out the bmdcprms.sys file and reloading the software and using the bmdcprms.sys file that it creates. You may need to manually modify some of the parameters to match your machine's specs.

OK Thanks,
    I will try that .
    Been down last couple days with head cold,how I got a head cold in 90 deg weather is beyond me.
    Anyways back to the BP

I went out this morning and booted up the TC22.
    It loads fine right up to enabling the drives.
    The drives will enable and thats as far as I can go.
    The maint page shows me that the
    axis pos
    x=11.100
    y=8.100
    z=-9.900
    the bmdc exec level = 6.89
    Boss-Mc v4.79.22/6.89.57
    I went through some of the parameters and some match the manual and some are way off
    the encoder resolution matches the manual but like #1-Low speed Acceleration on the machine shows 5.001969 and the manual shows it to be 00000000762.
    I see the manual shows rev level 3.2 but surely these values wouldnt be that much different.
    how would I get a bmdcprms,sys file to match my rev?
    this isnt the only parameter way off most are.
    If I delete the bmdcprms.sys file off the machine it boots up and says encoder resoulution doesnt match and several other errors.
    I am pretty sure at this point this parameter problem is whats keeping the machine from going any further
    I could go through and set to the manual but without the correct values would be a waste of time most likely

Try deleting out the bmdcprms.sys file and reloading the software and using the bmdcprms.sys file that it creates. You may need to manually modify some of the parameters to match your machine's specs.

Thanks ppascuzzi,I will do this.
    When I first loaded the software It did create a bmdcprm.sys file but when I tried to run the machine I got the errors about the encoder res not matching and a couple others so I deleted it and put in a copy of my old file.
    thats most likely then where I went wrong.
    I found that my bmdcprm.sys on the original is rev 3.2.
    If you would tell me what steps you would take now.
    run fdisk,partition,reload dos then software than boot machine and change parameters that give me errors or is there another way?
    Seems I have a file at rev 3.2 running with 4.89 software.
    I was told when this software was given to me itwas the latest version for a tc-22.
    i believe you have me on the right track its just getting a parameter file to work.
    I do have the setup sheet that the original installer left with the machine that gives tool change height and backlash.
    Its a 6000rpm mill with parvex motor update and is not a c.i.b.
    Machinetek had talked me through what to look for in a machine when I purchased this one.
    Has been a really good machine till the motherboard went out than problems started.

you should be able to skip the FDisk/partition and dos install as you have already completed them. Just delete out the parameter file and reinstall the software.

Page 1 of 2 12