586,106 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MPG recommendation??

looking for mpg for x3 cnc (buying parts now). it will have G540, mach 3 and the pc will alway have 2 pp and fresh xp instal.

I have heard people on tormach forum say they wish they could zero axis from the control and not have to walk/reach for the mouse. is this possible? anyone used any? they all look a little different but for the money I want one I will love

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    looking for mpg for x3 cnc (buying parts now). it will have G540, mach 3 and the pc will alway have 2 pp and fresh xp instal.

I have heard people on tormach forum say they wish they could zero axis from the control and not have to walk/reach for the mouse. is this possible? anyone used any? they all look a little different but for the money I want one I will love

THANKS!
    Hi, If you want to know how to Make a MPG take a look at my PDF.
    Optical MPG and Switch Idea's
    cheers
    Bob A

I have used the one from CNC4PC and similar ones of eBay direct from China. Can not tell which is which. CNC4PC support their product so for a one off would be a good buy. The curly cable is a bit too stiff for my complete satisfaction but to date no failures.

Look hard at the button configuration and consider the ergonomics as what is right for one person and a particular way of working could well be difficult for another.

Making your own is easy and if you are left handed is probably a better option. If cost is a consideration the Mach3 plugin for the Shuttle Pro works and I only wish it was waterproof.

Regards - Pat

If you plan on doing a control console with manual push button interfaces like I did on mine, another option for MPG would be the pokeys55, it supports mpg's and analog/digital I/O
    And Bob Adams site is a great resource, if you are not looking for a plug and play solution

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Hi, If you want to know how to Make a MPG take a look at my PDF.
    Optical MPG and Switch Idea's
    cheers
    Bob A
    That is some wicked cool stuff! it is a little out of my league for electronics.. I have a deep seated fear of magic smoke and a knack for making it

If money is not option you could run the MODBUS MP-01....MP-01 ModIO Pendant [MP-01] - US$387.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

Do you plan on controlling your spindle with Mach?
    If not then you could just get the 4 axis MPG MP-02 MPG Pendant [MP-02] - US$160.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier and then just use the CNC4PC C22 card to power it CNC4PC

Quote Originally Posted by wildwestpat View Post
    I have used the one from CNC4PC and similar ones of eBay direct from China. Can not tell which is which. CNC4PC support their product so for a one off would be a good buy. The curly cable is a bit too stiff for my complete satisfaction but to date no failures.

Look hard at the button configuration and consider the ergonomics as what is right for one person and a particular way of working could well be difficult for another.

Making your own is easy and if you are left handed is probably a better option. If cost is a consideration the Mach3 plugin for the Shuttle Pro works and I only wish it was waterproof.

Regards - Pat
    OUCH on the ebay. the only one i see is $580 and looks IDENTICAL to the cnc4pc.

I just looked at the wiring and tried to figure out the instructions for the MPG2 but I am LOST. I am looking for a plug and play solution and the pictures show a parrallel port connection, but there are all kinds or wiring diagrams and power suply information and its talking about an adapter. (my idiot is showing). Is all of that NOT NEEDED if I have a second parallel port?

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    If money is not option you could run the MODBUS MP-01....MP-01 ModIO Pendant [MP-01] - US$387.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

Do you plan on controlling your spindle with Mach?
    If not then you could just get the 4 axis MPG MP-02 MPG Pendant [MP-02] - US$160.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier and then just use the CNC4PC C22 card to power it CNC4PC
    I definitely do plan to control the spindle with mach... although I really haven't figured out exactly how it works. Several people have talked about doing it in their threads but that has not been on the front of my radar and likely will worry about it after I get the conversion done.

My logic right now is that if i am going to get an MPG it would make sense to get one that can reference the axis from the pendant, but for $400 I think I could get used to a mouse extension cable to click the '0'.

I have some reading to do on the pokeys

I definitely do plan to control the spindle with mach... although I really haven't figured out exactly how it works. Several people have talked about doing it in their threads but that has not been on the front of my radar and likely will worry about it after I get the conversion done.

My logic right now is that if i am going to get an MPG it would make sense to get one that can reference the axis from the pendant, but for $400 I think I could get used to a mouse extension cable to click the '0'.

I have some reading to do on the pokeys
    Ok in that case I would do what I did... Go with the CNC4PC 6 axis You can configure axis 5 for feed override and 6 for spindle speed override. Then go with the C22 board to interface it and this will give you your plug and play option.

Thanks Jermie! seem to remember thanking you on other threads too

that definitely looks better than the more expensive alternative. I think I understand now- power is drawn from a USB on the PC into the c22 to power the pendant and interface.

I see that the axis functions can be changed in Mach3, but how exactly does it function? You click to your speed axis selector and turn the dial from 0-100 to select speed from off to full speed for the current gear?

I ordered everything from Kelinginc tonight and went with the plug and play control box as it only worked out to a little over $100 more and looks to save me at least one other order and likely four or five nights work.

waiting on some info about the CNCFusion ball screws to order those too

Thanks Jermie! seem to remember thanking you on other threads too

that definitely looks better than the more expensive alternative. I think I understand now- power is drawn from a USB on the PC into the c22 to power the pendant and interface.

I see that the axis functions can be changed in Mach3, but how exactly does it function? You click to your speed axis selector and turn the dial from 0-100 to select speed from off to full speed for the current gear?

I ordered everything from Kelinginc tonight and went with the plug and play control box as it only worked out to a little over $100 more and looks to save me at least one other order and likely four or five nights work.

waiting on some info about the CNCFusion ball screws to order those too
    Heh I try to help as much as I can...You are correct on the power for the pendent. The MPG dial needs to 5v to pulse. For the speed/feed overrides in Mach3 the initial speed is set in your g-code. then the pendent can be used to overspeed it by 200% or reduce it down to 1% of the initial speed... the %'s may be different not sure. As for axis selection you change the dial to the axis you want to move, hold the enable button and then turn the dial as much as you need.

All of the configuration is not done in the ports/pins. You have to add the brain controls that are provided by CNC4PC as well.

Try searching eBay for 'Manual Pulse Encoder CNC' - I have just done this as I purchased one last month. If you still don't see the simple LPT type try altering the eBay filters on how far into the eBay world you are searching.

Manual Hand Wheel 100p/r Pulse Encoder Cnc Mill Router | eBay UK

There are several designs and the jog wheel is also listed.

Have fun building the machine. Regards - Pat

I had one of the 4 Axis models from CNC 4 PC but had lots of trouble configuring it at first and the steps weren't all that clean once I did get it configured. I ended up later on getting a Vista CNC model and that has worked really well for me, but I still like that keyboard for setting things up. It's the one hitch I have with them overall I guess.