586,096 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What equipment to engrave Hip Flasks

Hey all new to this site but fantastic infromation. Any how i am a bit lost with what equipment i need. I want to do some on the the side engraving and laser printing but not use what i need. i am looking at doing hip flasks etc So the material is stainless steel. I have looked at the laser engraving but they seem to be light and only good for non metal prioducts. Any suggestions would be great. Attached is the sort of finish i am after.

Regards

james
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30HipFlask300x225p3_93k.jpg   Hip_Flask.jpg  

You can use any Co2 laser to do that , you coat the stainless steel or metal with a product called Cerdec andf you laser it and it makes a permanent black mark. Works real well.

YAG/Diode laser can engraving stainless steel

If you want to engrave on stainless steel, you can use YAG laser marking or Diode pump laser marking machine. But not too deep, 0.5mm depth.
    I just engraved on a stainless steel and took a video. You can give me your email address, i'll send it to you

Kofi
    What is the price for YAG/Diode laser can engraving stainless steel ?
    Can u send me more information at [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by muqtadir View Post
    Kofi
    What is the price for YAG/Diode laser can engraving stainless steel ?
    Can u send me more information at [email protected]
    I've sent it to you, pls check it.

Quote Originally Posted by kofi_sunic View Post
    If you want to engrave on stainless steel, you can use YAG laser marking or Diode pump laser marking machine. But not too deep, 0.5mm depth.
    I just engraved on a stainless steel and took a video. You can give me your email address, i'll send it to you

I'd like some information on this as well. Actually, what I would really like to know is if there is some kind of YAG/Fiber laser that I could build/adapt to my existing CNC machine. Basically a laser head that could be held by the spindle and controlled with M codes or in a similar manner.

A few possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyolddo View Post
    I'd like some information on this as well. Actually, what I would really like to know is if there is some kind of YAG/Fiber laser that I could build/adapt to my existing CNC machine. Basically a laser head that could be held by the spindle and controlled with M codes or in a similar manner.
    A galvo driven laser head can do the marking within a fixed window, e.g. a f160 lens can mark a 4.33" sq area. A f254 can mark a 7.86" sq area. If the part to be marked is under that, you will only need to use the spindle adaptor for the initial X-Y locating.

If you have a fixture with many parts to be marked, lets say 30 parts in a 24" x 48" fixture, you can use the same marking file with different X-Y spindle locations for the start of each mark.

If you are thinking of a static mounted beam and utilizing the X-Y motion of the spindle to actually engrave, I don't believe that will work. For metal cutting, the depth and speed is relatively not all that critical.

To mark a graphic design or font is much more difficult. The laser must be switched off between each movement and restarted (and delayed) a fraction of a second as the head changes direction to prevent burn-through. Fill percentage, mark speed, frequency and power level all change with each stroke to obtain the even finish you get from a great laser mark.

As well, the galvos move at incredible speeds to accomplish their work. Virtually all design or engraving work is accomplished with a galvo driven head. The units I have seen in operation have a fairly small head (8"H x 6"W x 15"L) and mount with a standard bracket attached with four M8 screws. The umbilic attaches to the head and just needs to be supported and not kinked.

I hope this helps... Don't forget you need a class 1 enclosure and special glass in your CNC or 1064n glasses in an enclosed room.

Rodney Gold
    How we can calculate for cutting by Co2 laser machine of 60 Watt per hour ?
    For example If we run our machine for 5 hours per day for 2 mm thick MDF and take about 1 hour a job. As I calculate the price of laser tube approx. 300$ and life is 1000 hours. It means per hour is 0.3 $. Is this correct or what is the correct formula for a job for cutting.
    Thanks.