586,080 active members*
3,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Steps per in mach3?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm trying to calculate the proper steps per MM in Mach3, but have no idea what I'm doing. Currently it is set to the default of 2000, but obviously that's not right. I tried drilling a hole in a block of wax that was supposed to be 1.5mm in from two edges, and it ended up a little over 5mm. I am using a retrofitted sherline mill, with MM lead screws that came from sherline, and a Univelop four/five axis tb6560 drive boards/breakout board that came from ebay. The drive boards are set at 1/2 step on the microstepping, because if I set it to a full step my motors only turn a half rotation and stop. What information do I need to calculate the proper steps per minute so my 1.5mm on the comp is 1.5mm in real life, and what do I do with that information when I get it? I don't know if it matters, but my designs will all be done in Matrix, and then the files opened in Rhino to use Rhino cam to get the gcode. I currently have Mach3-MM set as my post, and have already made sure that Mach3 is on the MM setting. Also remember that I'm very new at this, and am just learning. Thank you for any help!

Follow the set up instructions for Mach3 as the software needs to know how far the axis has moved. The microstepping is for getting increased resolution not calibrating the axis movement. Here is the link to download the install and configuration guide. Page 5-23 covers the calibration for a given movement. However you should also check that you have the motors set up properly as set out in the rest of chapter 5.

ArtSoft USA - Documentation

There are other documents on that page that you may find helpful and there are some good video instructions for download at ArtSoft USA - Video Tutorials

Hope this gets you going - Regards - Pat

That's exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get really close to the settings I need, and am hoping to get it set up to use the automatic move settings to get the rest of the way there. I'm having problems doing that with my y axis motor, but I'll start another thread on that issue. Thank you very much for the help.