586,108 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe Install

I am working on setting up a Hawk 150 in my shop and am not sure how to properly level the machine. With my mill (Arrow 750) I used a precision level on the table and adjusted the leveling screws until it was flat in both directions. It looks like I can put leveling screws in the Hawk's 3 "feet" but I'm not sure where you would set the level in order to properly level the machine. I have read through the installation manual for the machine and it doesn't mention leveling the machine at all. Is it not necessary with the lathe? I've never installed one before so I wasn't sure what the proper process was.

Thanks,

Tom

As far as I can remember, they just sat on the three casting legs. No leveling I can remember. Always seemed odd to me.

Describing a plane requires exactly 3 points.
    Sitting on 3 points on a relatively level surface the lathe bed should not twist much if any. If course it could still be levelled but there's no way to take any twist out resting on 3 points.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by scudzuki View Post
    Describing a plane requires exactly 3 points.
    Sitting on 3 points on a relatively level surface the lathe bed should not twist much if any. If course it could still be levelled but there's no way to take any twist out resting on 3 points.

Joe
    How would you know it was twisted even if you could adjust it? I'm not seeing any place that appears to be a good place for setting a level. The only thought I had for leveling the machine was along the spindle centerline by setting the level on a machined (preferrably ground) bar that is clamped in the jaws and had a center in the end. That still wouldn't level it perpendicular to the centerline however. I was wondering if there was someplace on the main casting or maybe on the turret that would be flat relative to the world. I suppose that direction is somewhat irrelevant though since the parts obviously spin around that axis and leveling the machine in that direction only assures that the turret moves on the angle designed into it, which really shouldn't affect machine performance or accuracy.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing....

This is why machines are levelled.
    Level is just a plane of reference for taking the twist out, and accurate levels can be had for reasonable money.

Unfortunately if there are no surfaces on the bed at the headstock and tailstock ends that are machined horizontal from the factory then it can be near impossible to use the levelling method of removing twist.

If the machine in question rests on 3 points then the manufacturer decided that the structure was stiff enough to resist twisting. Make some parts and forget about it.

Joe

Hi I have the same machine as yours,when we put it into our workshop 3 years ago I went through the same hassle,in the end we just put a level on top of the cabinent and to be honest it sounds rough but the thing machines near perfect when it behaves itself,and I think even in the set up manual for memory says that it doesn't have to be perfect.Hope this helps Regards Greg.