586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Cadkey 99 on windows 7 problem

Cadkey 99 on windows 7 problem

I recently upgraded to a Quad core 2 pc running Windows 7. Rhino 1.0 runs fine but Cadkey 99 has an issue that I can't resolve. With the help of previous posts I was able to adjust screen size and now have circles displayed round and not eliptical. Thank you for you help on that problem. The remaining issue, is that the upper 1/3 of the screen drawing area will not show the cursor or grid. When moving the cursor it disappears in this area and reappears as the pointer when it exits the drawing area. Cursor tracking still follows the missing cursor though. All other cursor functions seem normal and functional.
    I've tried running in compatabilty mode and still no improvement. When I checked the box in properties / display / disable display scaling on high DPI settings, the blank area is reduced to about 1/5 from 1/3.
    I have an old pentium based laptop that I've been using for years to draw, program, and post process files for my Bostomatic 1440. I'm semi retired now, and work with wood on the Bosto generating 3 & 4 axis contouring moves with a ball endmill. I can still use the laptop to do everything I need to do, but the large monitor on the new PC is easier on the these aging eyes for the design and drawing aspect of my projects.
    Any ideas on how to resolve this blank portion of the screen is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dan

Sounds like a Video Card issue. Are you using a separate video card or the systems video from the mother board? For the video card make sure you have the latest driver.

Under Tools/Options/Display, what is your screen size set to? Does this match the larger monitor?

New Twist

I'm using a 1 Gig Nvidia Geforce with cuda graphics card with the latest driver. I have the screen size set to X=20. / Y=11.25 (1920/96=20 & 1080/96=11.25) I tried the same process dividing screen resolution by 64 (X=30 Y=16.875) and still the same issue with screen and cursor. I do get round circles, not eliptical ones with this screen ratio.
    The new twist is, ( I hadn't noticed this before ) If I load a sample part it will utilize the whole drawing area of the screen and looks fine although the cursor still disappears in the upper 1/3 of the drawing area. When I autoscale this sample part the top 1/3 disappears.
    I tried loading Cadkey 97 and it will not load due to " incompatable operating system" .
    I don't want to cry poor, but I can't afford to upgrade to latest version of Key Creator, nor do I need to from a drawing point of view because Cadkey 99 does ( at least it use to ) everything I want & need it to do.
    Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Have you tried to use a different aero theme such as windows 7 basic? Right click on the desk top and pick personalize.

Other than that I would try to ask the question on the Cadkey Forum on KeyCreator’s website or just cal them. I have a copy of CK 99 that I could load but that will have to wait until I get back from vacation in two weeks. I had CK19 on a Win 7 computer and it worked fine right out of the box. I removed it when I went to SSD in replacement of my hard drive.

I tried the Windows basic theme, and it reduced the blank are to about 1/5 of the drawing area. In addition, in the properties / compatability / settings / I checked the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and got the same results. I also tried both of these changes individually and at the same time and the results were the same ( top 1/5 Blank ). Thank you for you effort in trying to resolve this issue. Maybe when you get back you can try to duplicate what's happening. Hope you have a great Vacation. Thanks, Dan

Cadkey99 on Win7 PC

I'm using Cadkey99 on a Windows 7 PC (SP1, Intel i3 540 & 4gb ram, Intel HD graphics).

I installed it to C:\Cadkey99 directory. Then I had to run it with these settings...

Run: Normal window
    Compatibilty: Run in Win XP SP3 mode & disable desktop composition checked.
    Privelege: Run as Admin checked.

Works fine.

Perhaps your issue is with the video settings. Mine has a vertical cropping setting, could this be your issue?

Trio, Tried everything you suggested, and still no luck with top 1/5 of screen. Cross hair still disappears. I'm running Win 7 on a 64 bit system with 8Gigs of ram, Quad core 2 proc., and a 1 gig Nvidia graphics card. I'm not that computer savy, but I think it has something to do with the 64 bit system. I'm going to try to disable the 64 bit and see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this problem. If you have any more ideas on how to fix this problem , please post and I'll give it a try. Dan

DJester,

I posted this on the Cadkey forum and one user has responded that he had the exact same issue with CK19 on a 64bit system and he was able to fix the problem by running it in Win XP SP3 mode with no other options checked other than to run as administrator. Also make sure under the Shortcut tab the “Run” window should be “normal window”. I’m back at the shop today but won’t have time to install CK99 for a few days. Hope this helps.

Moldcore, I tried what has been suggested and still have this issue with the cursor disapearing. However I did notice, if I pull down the top of the frame in the drawing window to the point where the cursor disapears, the cursor reappears in the unused black area as a pointer when moved out of the drawing area. Thanks to everyone that has tried to help. Dan

DJester,
    I finally got around to installing on my machine and it worked without the problems you had with the cursor. Another user on the Cadkey Forum has responded with an idea that it may be the version of Windows 7 that you are using. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on mine. I may have missed it but you may need to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate to run in Windows Virtual PC:
    Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

Minimum requirements are here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...e_Brochure.pdf

Windows 7 / Virtual XP running Cadkey 99

Moldcore, Thank you for your help!! You were right I was running Windows 7 home edition. I upgraded to the Pro version and installed the Vitual XP program, and I'm able to run Cadkey 99 now. I still have a cusor issue though, superimposed over the crosshair is what looks like the up/down arrows to enlarge/reduce a window size. It's almost as though the mouse is running in both the virtual and normal systems at the same time. I'm able to run all my old CAD/CAM packages as well as some old DOS base programs (Millwrite/FontLink, PC-MAT (a DOS to Bostomatic SPC converter)). I don't use DNC and was even able to get an USB 3.5 floppy drive to work ( I had to label it as B: drive though). Thanks again for all your help!! If you have any ideas on the cursor, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Im running Cadkey 99 On win 7 professional 64 bit
    CPU: i7 2600 3.40 GHz Quad Core
    12 GB of Ram
    Nvidia GTS 450 1GB DDR5

Iam not running cadkey as admin or have the program running under win xp. It runs perfectly fine on my PC. I would try updating windows 7 or try updating the graphics card. Windows 7 should run cadkey 99 with no issue unless your graphics card is not compatibly with the software. We have 5 computers with cadkey 99 and all of our pc are running window 7, no trouble here.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    ... it may be the version of Windows 7 that you are using. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on mine. I may have missed it but you may need to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate to run in Windows Virtual PC:
    Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

Minimum requirements are here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...e_Brochure.pdf
    I didn't think of this, but I'm running Win 7 Pro.

Sorry that I didn't follow up on this thread since my last posting.