586,075 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dot Peen engraving

The image below is of a guitar neck plate that has been engraved using a dot peen method. I ordered a custom neck plate from this company and it is beautiful!
    I would like to learn more on how this is done, the machinery used, possibly even do this type of work for myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Other CNCZone threads? External links?
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dotpeenplate.jpg  

Here's a link to a company that makes dot peen markers. I don't know if they're capable of the intricate work that you posted.
    Dot Peen & Laser Marking system and equipment overview

I can say with near 100% certainty that part is not dot peen engraved. I would bet it is laser marked. Some places for you to look around:

Materials Showcase

PhotoGraV - The Power Tool for Laser Engraving Photographs

Matt

Agree with keebler303. A thin part like that marked using dot peening would end up getting shaped in to a "cup" from the punch hits.

Looks more like the 'matrix' style laser marking.

From their website-

"This type of engraving like etching is not deep into the metal.

The image is produced by striking the metal at varying depths. The depth of each strike is dependent on the brightness of each pixel in the image used to engrave. As you may or may not know a digital image is made up of many small dots (pixels). This engraving process uses the brightness of each one of these dots (pixels) to decide how hard to strike the metal. The brighter the dot (pixel) the harder the metal is struck. Black pixels are not struck. The contrast between the varying depths of these strikes creates the image."

A link to their website:
    FreeServiceRequest-HighQuality/HighResolution Engraving

There are several companies doing this type of work.
    Is this just laser engraving or something else?
    All my CNC work has been with wood, so this is new territory for me and I am completely clueless.
    Thanks for the help.

I agree that it is explained in a way to make one think it is dot peened. I think the guy is either clueless or lying intentionally to make people think it is better or something. I have never seen anything like this made with a dot peen engraver. They are normally just one "power" for the whole mark and they are quite slow per "hit" compared to a laser anyway. A quick google search will net you lots of "lasered" images with an appearance almost identical to what you have posted. I bet you will have trouble finding a "dot peened" part that looks anything like that. I run a Kern laser and have done several projects on black anodized aluminum and they look just like the above picture. If you have one in hand, it will be quite evident how it was made. The dot peening will leave a "texture" on the surface while the lasered one will be almost perfectly smooth.

Matt

EDIT: I may also add that a laser beam could be described as "striking" or even "impacting" a surface.

I think I found it:
    Roland MPX-50
    Roland MPX-50 - Metaza

"Metaza (the MPX-50) is a metal printer.
    It can mark photographs, drawings, text, and the like on the surfaces of flat metal and plastic. For more information about materials that
    can be marked, see Part 2, "1-1 Preparing the Workpiece for Marking."
    How Metaza Works
    Metaza uses a diamond tipped stylus to mark the surface of metal or plastic, creating intricate depressions.
    The size of the depressions is varied by controlling the marking force, making it possible to express light and dark areas of the image.
    This is exactly analogous to the way a monochrome printer expresses light and dark area by varying the size and arrangement of dots."

And a You Tube demo:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIzUjy_4B8"]YouTube - ‪MPX-80 - Photo Engraving - FULL DEMO‬‏[/nomedia]

Anyone have any experience with these? Are there other brands? Even the bottom level of these machines is in the $2K range.

Guess I should put my foot in my mouth. I've never seen anything like that before.

Pretty neat!

Matt

That is a very expensive toy, I like it.

Hi Guys,

This is my DIY attempt at impact.

The first picture was produced by impact printing with a magnet and the second picture with a laser. Same image, same material and same machine. The laser took minutes the impact took hours, there is a big difference in surface finish / texture but as far as the subject is concerned they they look almost identical.

(These were done using Mach3).

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00806aaa.jpg   DSC00807aaa.jpg  
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.