586,094 active members*
3,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Most cost effective software for DIY CNC router
Page 1 of 2 12

Most cost effective software for DIY CNC router

What is the most cost effective machine control and CAM software that I can use for my JRGO router? I was looking at CamBam and Mach3. Are there better/cheaper options? I have a an old version version of TurboCad at home and use Solid Works at work. Will CamBam import a Solid Works file?

Quote Originally Posted by ItzAllGooD View Post
    What is the most cost effective machine control and CAM software that I can use for my JRGO router? I was looking at CamBam and Mach3. Are there better/cheaper options? I have a an old version version of TurboCad at home and use Solid Works at work. Will CamBam import a Solid Works file?
    I really do not like responding like this, but you are mixing cost effective, better, and cheap all together.

Cost effective means paying the least amount to get the job/work done. The problem with your question is that you have not defined what level of performance you are willing to accept.

As to the CamBam question, you could probably get an answer an answer on their forum.

I was looking at CamBam and Mach3. Are there better/cheaper options?
    There are always cheaper options. Plenty of free software for just about everything.
    Better is a very subjective term. Ask 5 people using 5 different packages which is better, and you'll get 5 different answers.

Mach3 and EMC are by far the most commonly used options.
    EMC is free, but runs in Linux.
    Mach3 is $175
    TurboCNC (running DOS) is $60
    CNC Zeus (running DOS) is $100
    Lots of other options over $1000

As for CAM, download demos and buy the one you like the best.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks guys. I don't mean to be vague I just wanted to know if I was looking in the right direction.

I program for Swiss PCD / CBN insert grinders at work and they all have their own software that doesn't even come close to typical machining/ G-code programming. I am unfamiliar with most of the concepts of CAD/CAM, G-code programming. I will need some help to get started, but once I get rolling I will be OK.

With free software I wouldn't expect much if any support, so I would be an my own. Not a good place to be while trying to get something to work. I figured it would be easier and better to pay for something I know will work together(there was a Mach3,CamBam bundle at the CamBam website).

Now, if there is some free stuff that people have had good luck with that's another story. I don't mind a little extra work. I want to be able to import a 3d model from Solid works and cut my parts.

I didn't even think about the trial versions of the software.

I need to be around $300 for the control and Cam software and I have pretty much decided on Mach3 based on the stuff I have read over on the JRGO forum. This puts me between the free stuff and the more powerful/expensive software. I will start trying out some CAM software to see what I can find.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Itzallgood,
    I'm kind of in the same boat you are. My homemade machine is almost done. I've downloaded 4 different cam apps to try out, and for no particular reason started concentrating on CamBam. I have a good knowledge of cad packages such as Acad, Turbocad, Rhino and Solidworks. So far parts I've drawn in all of these import fine into Cambam.

For me , Mach3 is a given. With so many people using it on DIY machines, there probably isn't a problem someone hasn't solved yet.

Tom

Hi,

Have a look at Vectric.com

Great software and SUPPORT !!!

Jeff
    "I'm tryin to think but nothin happens" - Curly Howard

The late great Bernie Mac once said of contractors (to paraphrase) "Everyone wants things that are good, fast, and cheap. Only thing, you can only have two of the three. If it's good and fast, it definitely won't be cheap. If it's good and cheap, it certainly won't be fast. And if it's fast and cheap, it likely won't be any good!"

BTW I also agree on Vectric software. By far, one of the easiest to use (I cut a part in minutes WITHOUT needing an istruction manual; my litmus test for software...)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    EMC is free, but runs in Linux.
    Let me correct that for you:

EMC is free, and best of all, it runs on Linux, which is Free also!

I use EMC and CamBAM. I run CamBAM on a dedicated drafting machine I use for graphics and CAD. Transfer the g-code files via network our sneaker-net with USB Thumb Drives..
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

If you're just using the CNC for hobbiest stuff, start off with the free software and see where it takes you. If you want to make money with the CNC, get a software package which you find efficient and offers what you need.

I'll add some that haven't been listed yet.

For CAD/CAM I'm trying out HeeksCNC. It's free & for Win or Linux. Downside, doc isn't the best. There are some youtube tutorial vids, and some random stuff here: Wiki Pages - heekscnc - CNC machining add-in for HeeksCAD - Google Project Hosting . I did make some simple objects and got it to output nc files, to which I loaded into CNCSimulator. It did have mach3 output. Actually, a lot of his vids shows him running his mill on mach3. Need more practice & learning before giving an official opinion (rarely use CAD, never used CAM).

Perhaps you could get a hold of one of the Mastercam disks they like to give out for free to schools, etc... (if they still do that).

At first I didn't want to run Linux which was the cheaper option. After talking to the IT guys at work, it seems to be a non-issue.

So for now it looks like I will get set up with Linux and EMC2. I will also start to try out some different CAM software. Thanks for the help.

What you plan to use the machine for is also a factor as to what CAM software you choose IMO..

I looked at D2NC, CAMBAM, Vectric, and ARTcam..

I really liked ARTcam express but the upgrade path was very expensive if I ever wanted to go with their 'flagship' app... however, they did offer 'modules' that could be purchased separately to add the specific features I needed..

In the end, I went with Cut 2D from vectric, and quickly upgraded it to V Carve Pro... It's a nice app, but there are still some things I need to do that it can't... Hoping to purchase Cut 3D next month or the month after to address much of that...

If you don't plan to spend any money for some time on upgrading software, I would say look at the ART CAM express app... It's really feature packed for the price...

However, if you are planning to invest more in the near future on software, you can't go wrong with the Vectric Stuff..

Like others have said... try the demos...

Quote Originally Posted by ItzAllGooD View Post
    With free software I wouldn't expect much if any support, so I would be an my own.
    Mach3 has more technical support because it has the largest user base. The cheaper or free alternatives have a smaller user base resulting in less support. Given an equal user base the technical support would be much the same. Mach3 (Artsoft) isn't exactly a mega-corp with a 1-800 support hot line.

A little hair splitting from a long time free software user.
    The bottom line is you will get more technical support with Mach3 but it's not because you pay for it.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    What you plan to use the machine for is also a factor as to what CAM software you choose IMO..

I looked at D2NC, CAMBAM, Vectric, and ARTcam..

I really liked ARTcam express but the upgrade path was very expensive if I ever wanted to go with their 'flagship' app... however, they did offer 'modules' that could be purchased separately to add the specific features I needed..

In the end, I went with Cut 2D from vectric, and quickly upgraded it to V Carve Pro... It's a nice app, but there are still some things I need to do that it can't... Hoping to purchase Cut 3D next month or the month after to address much of that...

If you don't plan to spend any money for some time on upgrading software, I would say look at the ART CAM express app... It's really feature packed for the price...

However, if you are planning to invest more in the near future on software, you can't go wrong with the Vectric Stuff..

Like others have said... try the demos...
    One thing to mention about ArtCam is that they use a dongle. I believe their license is per computer while Vectric is per user. I also believe ArtCam's technical support costs money while Vectric's is free.

Everything about ArtCam is expensive...

They have a very nice product.. but you pay dearly for it...

Still, their entry level program gives you a 'lot' for the money... Much more than anyone else in the same price range... But like I say, after that, Vectric gives you much more bang for buck as soon as you want 'more'....

I knew I would be upgrading soon, so I went the Vectric Route... If I was gonna be going many months or more, I might have bought the ArtCam Express app instead of Cut 2D... and then just paid full price for V Carve later...

I'm gonna get Cut 3D fairly soon, but it'll be a while before I can think about Aspire... But, now that I know I can buy 2.5/3D models from Vector Art 3D and use their free toolpath software to generate toolpaths that can be used in V Carve, I'll be able to do 'much' of what I want without aspire...

If there is something special I need that can't be done with my 3D app and Cut 3D or with the models they sell, I can always pay them or someone else to generate the toolpaths for me to be used in V Carve or directly in Mach3 whatever...

D2nc has some CAD capabilities in its Shape Description language. It is intuitive and easy to learn.

Also has many many Wizards, and integrates into the MACH3 screen.

The inventor answer questions very very fast, as will many of the users.

I was a alpha and beta tester for the latest version and it really got tested by a number of us; it is bug free at this point.

It has a 15-day trial period which is more than enough as D2nc is so easy to learn. It retails for $60.

I have used it for a year now and it has really made it easy to get my drawings from Alibre and SketchUp Pro into g-code and then to a part. The Wizards are very easy to use and really speed up processing drawings into a part. It helps a lot if you can use layers, as D2nc allows conversions of a number drawings and Wizards into one g-code batch, a very helpful feature.

I was looking at D2NC for a bit... Does it allow importing of true 3D models and generate the code for them? My impression was that it only did 2D plus pocketing...

It's nice that like Vectric, he offers video based tutorial...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    I was looking at D2NC for a bit... Does it allow importing of true 3D models and generate the code for them? My impression was that it only did 2D plus pocketing...

It's nice that like Vectric, he offers video based tutorial...

Correct, 2D plus pocketing.

For 3D you'll need a mesh, for which you should look at CNC Tool Kit.

Mach3, Dolphin CAD/CAM

Avid user of both.

I have used EMC2 on my old cnc router and my current cnc lathe and I will be using it on my new pcb mill.

EMC2 is used in a number of commercial environments and has proven quite stable.

The advantages over Mach (besides being free and not using Windoze) is that there are a number of developers and a lot of free support. More developers often translates into quicker fixes if there is a problem. However, I have never run into a problem that was a game stopper.

The only serious disadvantage that I have found is that most of the developers are USB adverse, however, one developer has recently done some work around using USB with EMC2.

Some EMC2 users run Vectric products under vmware on Linux. There is also an opensource CAM package being developed for Linux, HeeksCAM. I am not using it so I can't report on its current state, but I have read other users writing about using it successfully.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12