586,106 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Similar fixture to the Tormach 770 for pulling the head.

Similar fixture to the Tormach 770 for pulling the head.

I saw a real neat little fixture on the Tormach 770 where you bolt this fixture to the table and it has a stout steel pin sticking up. You lower the head down to it and slide the spindle onto it and clamp it on. The head is then unbolted from the column and pulled using the table jog. Looked real slick. Any reason to think I can't do the same on a BF20 type mill?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Well, nobody said "for the love of god no", so I went ahead and whipped up something from that 3x3x3 block of scrap I had from my first trip to scrap bin. It's now 2.6x2.6x2.9 so I'm missing a little meat I would like to have but this is what I came up with. The .750 pin goes in 1.5" deep and was a bit of a press fit. Had to heat the block before it would go in all the way. Added some red loc-tite to add a bit more security to it.

So I should be able to leave it a little loose and lower the head onto it with a .750 collet in it and clamp it. then tighten the block down to the table and that should hold the head so I can pull it away from the column with ease when I need to. I have a beater .750 R8 collet that I don't mind using for this job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_0888.jpg  
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I am still trying to figure out what this does? I understand how it would move the head in relation to the pin/plate, I just cant figure out why. Is this going to be your 0,0,0?

For disassembly. The tormach 770 uses this to hold the head so you disconnect the bolts and use the table jog to pull the head off the column. You can then use it to reassemble later. It makes keeping the head steady as it is removed or installed a hands free operation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Here you go. This is the idea.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CzlveOjWiE"]YouTube - ‪Mill Head Removal Aid‬‏[/nomedia]

best thing about that method is that the spindle will be in line with the table when your done!

Nice.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Cool, I can definitely see that as a safe way to do it. Thanks for the video.