586,112 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tool Crib and Setup Software

Does anyone out there have suggestions relevant to a software package combining tool crib control and machining center set up documentation? Something that would allow users creating set up documentation to look in the tool crib and see what is available? I started creating my own but in reality I have too many other things to do, and it seems like the sort of thing that may have already been addressed by a commercial application. (Other than Predator. I have used their simulation package & I think it is a P.O.S.)
    Any leads would be appreciated!
    -plh

I've looked at a lot of the automated cribs and am not aware of any that are combined with setup sheets. I don't think what your looking to do is beyond the relam of some custom programming by any of the vendors though. I wrote my own tool crib package using access but it is just to keep track of my tooling / insert inventory right now. Eventually it will keep track of usage per order but I have to start somewhere. My next project is to create setup sheets for the mills and lathes. I want to do that in access also so eventually I can link the different databases. I want to choose an operation, say turning, and have a list of all available turning tools come up. Once I choose the turning tool, a list of all the available insert types for that tool would come up. Then all I have to do is assign the turret position and offset. Then repeat the process for grooving, threading, etc. It wouldn't be hard to add current inventory of each item to the menu. I don't think you want to wait until I get mine finished though. It may take a while. Good luck with the search. I'll check this thread to see how you make out.
    Gunner

Thank you for your reply.
    How about with tool kitting? That is, tool crib software that allows for a large number of tool kits in addition to the crib. That would be enough; it would constitute a list of tools used with each job. The rest of the set up documentation might best be separate anyway.
    -plh

Tool kitting would be a good idea. We did that extensively in one job shop I worked in. At that time I wrote a database program for the Unix system to track the stuff. Of course these days you would probably want to write it as a front-end for Access.