586,119 active members*
3,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

question about 5i23 and 7i33 cooperation :D

I got confused about these mesa cards,
    Can anyone plz help me here? :drowning:

the question is, If I want to control a 4-axis machine, and I want to use 5i23, then how many 7I33 do I need?
    How does 5i23 connect to each motor?

in other word, I have a 5i23 and a 7i33 just out of box! are they enough to control my machine? If no, then why does it said that the 7i33 is for 4axis servo interface? if yes, why is there, on 5i23, 3 connector?

lots of thanks in advance

Mesa Control Cards

Quote Originally Posted by shafagh View Post
    I got confused about these mesa cards,
    Can anyone plz help me here? :drowning:

the question is, If I want to control a 4-axis machine, and I want to use 5i23, then how many 7I33 do I need?
    How does 5i23 connect to each motor?

in other word, I have a 5i23 and a 7i33 just out of box! are they enough to control my machine? If no, then why does it said that the 7i33 is for 4axis servo interface? if yes, why is there, on 5i23, 3 connector?

lots of thanks in advance
    What type of command signal / signals do your servo amps require?
    From the MESA website; "The 7I33, 7I33T and 7I33TA are a 4 axis analog servo interfaces intended for operation with MESAs Anything I/O cards in motion control applications. The 7I33 takes the PWM and direction signals from the Anythng I/O card and converts them to +- 10V analog output."

The 7i33 takes the PWM / Dir output and converts it to +- 10V analog output. Therefore your servo amps will need to be able to accept these signals.

You will need EMC2. Check out these sites and links;

EMC Documentation Wiki: HostMot2

EMC Documentation Wiki: Pjm

LinuxCNC.org - EMC2 Documentation - HTML version

This should get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

I've read all of them, though maybe lose something,
    but my problem is with numbers. I cant figure it out how many of 7i33 do i need.
    right now I have one, and going to test it by tomorrow. In pncconf wizard, there is a configuration tab for each of connectors, so am I going to use all of 'em?

For a four axis machine with no spindle encoder , one 7i33 is enough.
    Which connector on the 5i23 you connect the 7i33 to, depends on the firmware loaded onto the 5i23. Pncconf can help you figure that out.
    For instance if you use firmware SVST8_4 , plug the 7i33 into the 5i23's connector 2.

The 5i23 has 3 connector because you can connect more then just the 7i33 to it at one time.

We are assuming you are using servo drives that accept +- 10 volt speed commands.
    It would help if we didn't need to assume so much.
    Explain more about what you are trying to do and with what equipment.

Chris

Ooops. sorry for lack of info, yep. I have servo drives that accept +-10V, actually I have an old bridgeport interact and I want to lunch emc2 on it. so I bought one 5i23 and one 7i33 and start working on it, but in pncconf, in the connector configuration section, there was 3 connector tab which the second and third one have the same nomber of pins and I thought may be I ought to have more cards or something like that.
    So, thanks to chris, I can manage everything morrow? I hope so.

Ooops. sorry for lack of info, yep. I have servo drives that accept +-10V, actually I have an old bridgeport interact and I want to lunch emc2 on it. so I bought one 5i23 and one 7i33 and start working on it, but in pncconf, in the connector configuration section, there was 3 connector tab which the second and third one have the same nomber of pins and I thought may be I ought to have more cards or something like that.
    So, thanks to chris, I can manage everything morrow? I hope so.
    The 7I33 handles the encoder inputs and analog +-10V outputs to interface to up to 4 analog servo drives. The other 5I23 connectors are for additional I/O. As an example of additional I/O, you will probably need limit switch and control inputs and perhaps spindle enable and coolant control outputs. These would commonly use our 7I37TA isolated I/O daughter-card for 5-24VDC isolated inputs and outputs. The 2 free connectors on the 5I23 could for example connect to 2 7I37TAs giving you 16 isolated outputs and 32 isolated inputs

thanks PCW,
    so if my spindle also need pwm, then I have to buy another 7i33? there is no encoder on the spindle.
    These would commonly use our 7I37TA isolated I/O daughter-card for 5-24VDC isolated inputs and outputs
    can't I use other connectors without any interface then?

I got the 5i23 nad 7i33 worked, and now I have +-10V output.But when I want to test them in pncconf the motors didn't move. can anyone think of any possible problem? can it be because of something like low current? the motors and drives are fine. motors are brushless and drives are old busch D-612.

Does the drive require an enable signal?
    Is the 7i33 sending out voltage in response to pncconf's open loop test?
    What version of EMC are you using by the way?

I'm not sure about enable signal, I'll check that,
    yes it send voltage response because of open loop test and I use emc2-2.4.6

thanks PCW,
    so if my spindle also need pwm, then I have to buy another 7i33? there is no encoder on the spindle.

can't I use other connectors without any interface then?

I got the 5i23 nad 7i33 worked, and now I have +-10V output.But when I want to test them in pncconf the motors didn't move. can anyone think of any possible problem? can it be because of something like low current? the motors and drives are fine. motors are brushless and drives are old busch D-612.
    You _can_ use the signals from the 5I23 directly, but: These are TTL level signals and can be damaged easily by inputs of more than 5V (just like using a parallel port without a breakout board). So, yes, the 5I23 I/O pins can be used directly, but a single connection mistake on the field wiring could be costly...

If you are reusing Solid State Relays or TTL level interfaced hardware and know what you are doing, using the bare FPGA pins to do this TTL level interfacing is OK, but for field wiring, its risky...

Much better to use a 7I37, an OPTO22 module rack, or a 7I42 to break out and protect the "bare" FPGA I/O pins

ok, thanks again, but what about spindle? should I buy one extra 7i33 just for spindle pwm? because all of first 7i33 pins are used for 4axis servos.

ok, thanks again, but what about spindle? should I buy one extra 7i33 just for spindle pwm? because all of first 7i33 pins are used for 4axis servos.
    You can add another 7I33 but its pretty wasteful. The other option is to swap the 7I33 for a 7I48 (6 axis analog servo interface). The only disadvantages of this are that you must use the development version of EMC (version 2.5 or greater ;you can download this from the buildbot) and you may not be able to use pncconf to create the HAL file.

Quote Originally Posted by chester88 View Post
    Does the drive require an enable signal?
    Is the 7i33 sending out voltage in response to pncconf's open loop test?
    What version of EMC are you using by the way?
    finally, yes. the driver require enable signal and still not moving. can it be because of low AMP or something like that because of wiring? any help will be appreciated

finally, yes. the driver require enable signal and still not moving. can it be because of low AMP or something like that because of wiring? any help will be appreciated
    How have you enabled the drive? Drives often need 12 or 24V enable signals...
    Do you have the drive specifications?

It's a Z15-1-240V bosch drive and is pretty old. I don't have any datasheet

How have you enabled the drive?
    well, may be I don't. how should I? I just plug all the 4axis drives cable to the 7I33. I checked the pins for each axis by hal scope and then just connect them

It seems I miss something here, cause it's my first time.

It's a Z15-1-240V bosch drive and is pretty old. I don't have any datasheet

well, may be I don't. how should I? I just plug all the 4axis drives cable to the 7I33. I checked the pins for each axis by hal scope and then just connect them

It seems I miss something here, cause it's my first time.
    Its possible your drive needs a 12 or 24V enable signal, so you cannot use the 7I33's TTL enable signal directly. Does the system you are retrofitting use 12VDC or 24VDC control signals? If so you are much better off using a 7I37TA to control the I/O (including the drive enable). You will really need to get the drive specs somewhere, or trace the original wiring to see whats needed to enable the drives. Also its possible that the drives have direction sensitive limit switch enables as well (so it will not move beyond the limits)