586,075 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > The most efficient way to distribute a 100+meg file to many ? (Model Plane designs)

The most efficient way to distribute a 100+meg file to many ? (Model Plane designs)

What most efficient way to distribute a 100+meg file to many.

I have been given a lot of DXF files and others, of all sorts of model plane plans.
    I am only prepared to upload these once, and it wouldnt be fair to upload it on the Zone, nor would I be prepared to host them on my site.

Any suggestions on how to distribute them those interested.

Here is a sample of the sort of thing I have.

OH, I have no idea if these are legal to distribute either. There is nothing on them that says I can't

There are lots of files that have the .cdr extension. It seems that Nero wants to open these files, however I suspect they are related to some other CAD program that I dont have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a sample of the CDR file I am talking about.
    What program should be used to open these ?

Are these sorts of files of any value to any one? It seems a pity that I have no interest in planes and they sit on my computer taking up room. If no one needs them I will just delete them.
    I have also attached the list of files that there are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard.gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files

.CDR files are the Corel Draw! format..
    Nathan

Image of the file opened with CorelDraw.
    Actual image is vector so resolution is much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spitfire.jpg  
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

imo the best way is via ftp. you need to find someone you will host the ftp, the files sit there and different clients connect to the server and d/l them.

there may even be free briefcase sites that can handle 100mg - you up it to the brief case and post the password

if they are going to be deleted, I'll be a pack ratge and say I'll take them for prosperities sake. Also, I could set up the ftp for a window of time, but would rather see someone in a commercial setting take than on. bandwidth here is capped and it does take time to manage ftp accounts

Lightbulb Bittorrent

If you expect many people to download at once the best solution is by far to use Bittorrent. With Bittorrent anyone downloading is also uploading, this means that the more people who are dowloading the faster the download gets.

For more information see my favorite bittorrent client ->
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Yours

Jarl

i like the idea of bittorrent

If I use bittorent that means every one must coordinate when they are downloading. I dont expect there will really be that many who want the files.
    I guess I am wondering if there really will be many who want them and is it really worth the effort.

I would like a copy of them! I may be able to set up a FTP server have to talk to my brother as he might have the space on his comercial web site.

Darren

Using Bittorrent

Here is an FAQ on how to share files via Bittorrent, I copied this from bittorrent.com where you can find it under http://www.bittorrent.com/guide.html

1. Get a tracker

You need a tracker for downloaders to be able to find each other. Because of this central role, a tracker should be on a very reliable Internet connection. Therefore it's strongly recommended that you use a tracker running on a stable server system (as opposed to your unstable Windows desktop system).

Everyone else making files available via BitTorrent is using a tracker, and a single tracker can handle a huge number of files with very little load. So you could ask others for the URL of their trackers. (Tracker URL is contained in .torrent files.) However, you should never use anyone's tracker without the owner's permission. That would be intrusive, for the least.

If you want to set up your own tracker, follow the instructions in the README.txt in the source distribution.
    2. Get a web server

Any web server will do, but you must associate the extension .torrent with the mimetype application/x-bittorrent . You should ask your web server's administrator to set it up.

If you are the web server administrator, either add the line

AddType application/x-bittorrent .torrent To httpd.conf , or application/x-bittorrent .torrent to mime.types .

3. Make .torrent files

Download and install CompleteDir from the homepage. It will install under Start > All Programs > CompleteDir .

Next, take all the files you would like to make .torrent's for and put them in a single directory. If there's a whole directory you'd like to make a single .torrent for, make it a subdirectory. If you only want to make a .torrent of one file, put it in a directory by itself.

Then run CompleteDir. Click on 'Select' and select the directory which you put all the files in. Enter the URL of the tracker you're using in the 'Announce URL' field. You can leave the piece size at the default value. (Smaller piece sizes cause better performance, but make bigger .torrent files.)

Click 'Make' and .torrent files will be created. For a file named spam , a file named spam.torrent will be created.

If you want to create more .torrent files, you don't have to remove the old ones, just add the new files to the directory and click 'Make' again. CompleteDir checks for existing .torrent's and doesn't regenerate them.

4. Put the .torrent files on your web server

Do this however you normally put files on your web server, for .torrent files are just ordinary static files.
    5. Install BitTorrent on your machine

Given that you're reading this you've probably installed BitTorrent already, but if not get it from the homepage.
    6. Start a complete downloader

For people to be able to download it is necessary that there be at least one downloader which has everything to begin with. Enter the URL you put the .torrent file at into your web browser, and select the complete local file (or directory) as the location to save to. After checking that the integrity of the file(s), the downloader will report that the download has succeeded, and wait for peers to upload to.

If there are multiple files you'd like to distribute, and they're not grouped into a single .torrent, you have to start a separate downloader for each .torrent file.

It is essential that your complete downloader be able to receive incoming connections. If you're behind a firewall or NAT, you should forward ports 6881 through 6889 to your machine. (The first downloader uses 6881, the next 6882, etc. The range is configurable.)

7. Link to the .torrent file

You can link to the .torrent file using an ordinary hyperlink. Sending the URL in email also works.

8. Have fun!

rugludallur ........forget i asked......its looks too difficult......I solved the problem and deleted them ( No not really, but lets just pretend I did.)

http://www.megaupload.com/ take a look here has like a 250mb limit on the free file size and no need for the external program(bit torrent ect) once you u/l to it you'll get the addy and you can post it here if it remains inactive for awhile it will be deleted but then someone else can re u/l to it
    To upload a file just follow these simple steps:

Select a file to send by clicking the "Browse" button. You can then select photos, audio, video, documents or anything else you want to send. The maximum file size is 250 MB.
    You may choose who you want to send a file to. If you just want to get the link to your file stored on our server leave the optional fields blank.
    Click the "Send" button to start uploading the file. You will see the progress of the file transfer. Please don't close your browser window while uploading or it will cancel the upload.
    If you entered an optional recipient e-mail address they will be sent the link of the file. They can then simply click the link to your file to download it.
    If you entered optionally your email address you will be sent the link and delete-link to your file stored on our server. You can share it for example on forums, websites, messengers, etc.

just for fun i grabbed those above and stuck on there heres the link
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=045VQNCN

Thanks strat ill do that. I suspect it will take all night to upload so ill post a link here 2 morrow

benny, otherwize you could gmail it to people. gmail it to yourself then forward it to people who want it.

Jon