586,100 active members*
2,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Wiring a TS27R + optical probe to a Haas

Wiring a TS27R + optical probe to a Haas

I am retrofitting a 95 VF-2 with a Renishaw probe system. I am using a MP700 probe coupled with a OMM and MI12. So far I have it fully working. I needed to add a relay to the mix (inside the MI12) to allow the macro to detect to probe turning on or off with a skip input macro test. I would like to know how it is officially wired up with a wired tool setter and optical probe from Haas. Right now I use the error SSR to bypass the probe when its off so the tool setter still works. The tool setter is wired in series with the probe. The only flaw with this is when powering on the probe I need to disable the error SSR bypass to detect if the skip input changes. I do this by adding in a relay that breaks the circuit from the error SSR when the start signal is given. Then allows the macro to check if the probe has turned on or turned off. Trying to see if there is a better way that I am just not thinking of. I am almost sure they are not adding another relay to the OMI. Anyone have a diagram?

Haas probe wiring

Quote Originally Posted by DaOne View Post
    I am retrofitting a 95 VF-2 with a Renishaw probe system. I am using a MP700 probe coupled with a OMM and MI12. So far I have it fully working. I needed to add a relay to the mix (inside the MI12) to allow the macro to detect to probe turning on or off with a skip input macro test. I would like to know how it is officially wired up with a wired tool setter and optical probe from Haas. Right now I use the error SSR to bypass the probe when its off so the tool setter still works. The tool setter is wired in series with the probe. The only flaw with this is when powering on the probe I need to disable the error SSR bypass to detect if the skip input changes. I do this by adding in a relay that breaks the circuit from the error SSR when the start signal is given. Then allows the macro to check if the probe has turned on or turned off. Trying to see if there is a better way that I am just not thinking of. I am almost sure they are not adding another relay to the OMI. Anyone have a diagram?
    I have a much simpler problem, I'm just trying to see if it's possible to get a wired probe hooked up to our VF-1, but not having much luck. The probe is the Wildhorse Innovations Econo-Probe. This is a very simple wired probe that is essentially a normally closed switch when seated, open when triggered. I've found this online http://www.cam.tuc.gr/DIAFORA%20JPG/...ion%20HAAS.pdf but it's not really much help because it doesn't label the function of the various pins. The wiring info is near the end of the document. My assumption is the M22/M23 connections are for turning the probe on/off and selecting spindle probe or toolsetter, and P22 is the actual skip input.

So far I have tried grounding pins 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, and 2-4 on P22, but I no change in the "G31 skip" output (found by hitting the param dgnos key twice). If I set bit 23 to 0, a G31 stops immediately, if I set it to 1, it will make the move commanded and does not stop, regardless of the state of the probe.

This machine does not have the probe ready option or macro, so it may be the skip input is ignored by the control. I have been lobbying our management for a year an a half to get wips on our machine, but because of the machine's age (2/2003), it requires upgrading the control to Coldfire 2 which puts this neatly out of reach ($10k).

My only goal is to have an "edge finder" that will set work offsets using G36/G136. The more advanced probing functions available with WIPS would be cool, but for now I'm willing to settle for a simple touch probe.

The hardware part is very simple. Hook one lead of the probe to pin 1 and the other to pin 2 on the skip input on the IO board. Go into the diagnostics screen and you will see skip input change from 0 to 1 when its triggered. The skip input is a simple optically isolated input that is perfect for a wired probe input. now on the software side of things... to use the probe functions you will have to have macros.

I have been lobbying our management for a year an a half to get wips on our machine, but because of the machine's age (2/2003), it requires upgrading the control to Coldfire 2 which puts this neatly out of reach ($10k).
    I see no reason why you need to upgrade anything. I have had several much older machines work just fine with probing macros. hell I dont even have VQC (made my own quick code file). If you have VQC then setting up a probe is cake.

Got it working

The hardware part is very simple. Hook one lead of the probe to pin 1 and the other to pin 2 on the skip input on the IO board. Go into the diagnostics screen and you will see skip input change from 0 to 1 when its triggered. The skip input is a simple optically isolated input that is perfect for a wired probe input. now on the software side of things... to use the probe functions you will have to have macros.
    Thanks, finally tried pins 1-2 with a jumper and saw the bit change. The probe still didn't work though. The problem turned out to be the probe's tripped resistance was too low because of the probe's led in the circuit. I added a little more R and now it works fine. A proper way would be to build a trigger circuit with some active components, but I'm getting 0.0001" repeatability and no false triggers now.

I see no reason why you need to upgrade anything. I have had several much older machines work just fine with probing macros. hell I dont even have VQC (made my own quick code file). If you have VQC then setting up a probe is cake.
    This is what the HFO and Haas say we need to use WIPS. Why WIPS? because it's $5.2k, and even with the upgrades, it's still cheaper than buying the probe and toolsetter from a Renishaw reseller, then adding the $3.6k "probe ready" Haas option.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Did you solve your issue?

I think the older setup used 2 M code relays so I feel my setup is a bit more elegant as it only uses 1 and works great.

RENISHAW TS27R wire conection

does anybody help me..

i bought a RENISHAW TS27R on ebay, and want install it to a Haas Mini Mill.

is a TS27R + MI8 probe interface.

i need to know where connect every wire. 5 wires: 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow, 1 Green, 1 ground.

if anybody use a TS27R on Haas Mini Mill, let me know if can take a picture insede the cabinet, where the wires are connected.

this is my TS27R + MI8 Probe interface and the second pictures my Mini Mill board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TS27R_small.jpg   TS27R HAAS BOARD.jpg  

Tolesh, do you already have a probe? On the toolsetter you can just hook the 2 wires coming from the toolsetter right to the skip input. Its already optically isolated.The circuit voltage and super low current is perfect for a probe interface. There isnt a need for a MI8.

It works..

DaOne

thanks for your help.

i wired the tool setter like you said and work fine... Pin 1 and 2 from top to bottom, when press the tool setter at the screen change the parameter 0 to 1.

it was a test.

Definitely will connect and take pictures to post here.

i will contact you

Regards