586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Lathe - Need Advise

I am new to the site so please be patient. I am a tool and die maker in a spinning and deep draw stamping shop with 40 years exp. It's high time I got a CNC lathe. I only make 1 piece at a time not multiples and need a swing of around 17" to make some of the spinning chucks. Right now I cut these by hand on a 19" South Bend. Can anyone advise me on CNC lathe model (used) that would be relatively easy to program ( I have no CNC experience however I am very good with computers and math)? I have seen a 17-x-40-cc-BRIDGEPORT-ROMI-EZ-PATH-Combination-Manual-CNC-Flat-Bed-Lathe (1995) in excellant shape but have read that it is difficult to program. Any brands to stay away from?
    Tom

I think you're looking at one of the best tool room cnc lathes out there. If it's in great shape you'll have a hard time doing better, assuming the price is in your range. I haven't programmed this one but the control is designed for one-off parts and the guys I know that use these absolutely LOVE them. The best I've seen would get one sequence cutting and before that was done he'd have the next one ready.

19" is pretty big.
    What's the budget?

I've been running a Mazak SQT250M, and programming is pretty easy, right at the control. You can program off-line and load in a G-code program, or insert G-code from within a Mazatrol program for toolpath control. But it sounds like you just need a toolroom lathe....

Some of the newer lathes have some pretty good programming built into them.

Wilmet
    I have been running one of these BRIDGEPORT-ROMI-EZ-PATH lathes for about 5 years now, really easy to program only problem we have had with this machine is we have put on a 4 jaw chuck and have been turning large dia and large pieces of plate and have had a few problems with the boards and connections coming lose !! Ours is a 2000 or 2001 not sure if you will have the same problem sounds like you are looking to turn large dia parts.
    Best of luck if you purchase and have any program questions send them my way !!
    Brian