586,449 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > can milling inserts be used for turning ?

can milling inserts be used for turning ?

I just went to a Tool & Die auction, and bought a large box full of carbide inserts. Unfortunately, these were loose and had no coresponding boxes.
    I got tons of drilling inserts (WCMG ?) , and would love to be able to use these on my lathe.
    I also got lots of triangular inserts, but I'm not sure how to tell if the are for turning or milling. Obviously the ones with a chip breaker are for turning, but a lot of them are smooth with no relief.
    I tried to do a bit of research on this using the big carbide insert manufaturer's websites, but just got confused.
    I realize there's a compromise using a milling on a lathe, but for home use there must be a way to use these. It would be a shame to just waste them !! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Many milling and lathe tools use the same inserts. As long as the carbide grade and geometry are what you need, why not?

Dick Z
    DZASTR

With that many, I would just start experimenting with different cuts. Make a mental note of what works best.

Let the cutting begin!

some have grades marked on them, then you can cross reference who manufactures them, then get a catalog to find the exact nomenclature.

old inserts

i have before found old carbide inserts from shops that came from tool holders no longer used. modern carbide inserts are more sophisticated nowadays. usually old piles of inserts are of the plain types.
    chipbreakers are not necessarily for only lathe tools. many negative rake holders used chipbreaker grooves to give a positive rake in a negative holder and thus use more sides. so a triangular bit would have 6 usable cutting edges..
    often a shop will buy new tooling which take different carbide inserts and sell or giveaway the old inserts and tooling as they are not using it, it is just taking up space.
    i have seen milling cutters with apkt inserts so out perform milling cutters that took plain tpg inserts that a machinist would rather purge the shop of the inferior tooling to force themselves to only use the more efficient and more productive tooling

Thanks for the tips !!
    At the cost of inserts, I will definitely experiment with what I have. Even if only 50% are usable, I will never have to buy another insert.
    I think I will silver solder samples onto CRS square blanks, and purchase holders as needed.
    Dan