586,055 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Need help wiring up my controller box....

Need help wiring up my controller box....

I built a box to house my power supply and gecko drive. I was in the process of trying to figure out how to wire everything up.
    I chopped off a grounded cord of an old power bar to run to the power supply.

I found some basic images of power supplies, I just want to make sure I get this hooked up right. I have very little knowledge of electrical and testing.

The grounded plug has blk,wht, and grn wires. Which hooks to what on the power supply?

Also, I was browsing the forums and some people mention putting in an on/off switch as well to reduce electrical surge..?

Do I need a switch as well? I was just going to hook the cord straight to power supply and just plug it in to be "on"...is this a big no no.

What kind of switch and how do I wire this in? pictures or schematics would be very helpful.

Also wiring limit switches, I have two for each axis. I've seen the schematic on gecko's site but it only shows one switch in the schematic. To wire the other in a series, I'm assuming instead of the wire going to the ground it would go to the other switch first and then that one to the ground correct?
    Again, pictures and schematics would be helpful.

I'm sure i'll have many more questions as well once I actually have proper power and wiring hooked up, like mach setups etc.
    I have cables to run from the steppers to the gecko drive already. This is a machine from xzero.

Help much appreciated,
    Jeff

White neutral, black hot, green Earth ground.
    It pays to at least mount a local breaker/disconnect on the panel.
    Ideally you would fit a contactor or heavy duty relay to drop the AC out to the drive and power supply when an E-stop occurs, the PC would be kept live.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

So what wire goes to which connection on the Power supply?

I have an Estop switch as well, forgot to mention that.

Basically I need an entire breakdown of how everything should be hooked up. Newbie explantions, pictures and schematics are much appreciated.

thx

Maybe this will help you - It's a simple engraver re-wired to use a G540 controller.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The only problem I see with that dwg is that the E-Stop is should be controlling the spindle in hard wiring as well.
    Also it should be set up to inform the controller, Mach etc, that an E-stop has occurred.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The only problem I see with that dwg is that the E-Stop is should be controlling the spindle in hard wiring as well.
    Also it should be set up to inform the controller, Mach etc, that an E-stop has occurred.
    Al.
    Like this??
    Attached Files Attached Files

That should work!
    Except I prefer to keep all the control wiring at 24vdc.
    If you have 24vdc as shown in the first pdf, I would normally use that supply for all relays where possible.
    Al.

Albert E.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th77sWIWneA"]YouTube - ‪Gecko G540 Bench Test with E-Stop‬‏[/nomedia]

this link is what I refer to for my basic wiring...like i said, total newbie here, picture and visuals help me out much more than most schematics.

my power supply is 48v. Does anyone have pics of their setup? that would be great help.

Anyone else have suggestions, advice and preferable pictures...
    thx

Keling has some wire diagrams for gecko drives. I hope that is some help for you.