586,366 active members*
3,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > Can someone make a excel spreadsheet for OD Chamfers

Can someone make a excel spreadsheet for OD Chamfers

I can do minor programming editing, but really have a hard time with od 45deg. chamfers, sometime we are .100 infront of the part when we put them on and sometimes we are on the face.

Can someone create an excel file that I can type in my x and z locations and chamfer size and it will give me my x and z's.

Example

od of dim. = .500
    size of chamfer = .025
    z location before chamfer .100

=X

or something close to this thank you for any help and or advice you may have for me, i also will be using cutter comp.

I guess every one has to learn some time or other, but you are kidding aren't you?
    45° tapers are the easiest ones to calculate out.
    The distance you move on Z is the same for X (on radius).
    so... if your diameter is 0.500" and your size of chamfer is 0.025" and you are starting 0.100" away from the face your X point would be 0.100" in front of your Z face and your X value would be calculated from 0.500-(2x0.025)-(2x0.100) = 0.250"
    Do you know how to use Trigonometry at all? as in Sin Cos and Tan?
    Hope you can follow this... once you understand how to calculate the points, machining chamfers other than 45° becomes rather straight forward.
    Regards
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    I guess every one has to learn some time or other, but you are kidding aren't you?
    45° tapers are the easiest ones to calculate out.
    The distance you move on Z is the same for X (on radius).
    so... if your diameter is 0.500" and your size of chamfer is 0.025" and you are starting 0.100" away from the face your X point would be 0.100" in front of your Z face and your X value would be calculated from 0.500-(2x0.025)-(2x0.100) = 0.250"
    Do you know how to use Trigonometry at all? as in Sin Cos and Tan?
    Hope you can follow this... once you understand how to calculate the points, machining chamfers other than 45° becomes rather straight forward.
    Regards
    Brian.
    BIG LOL
    I asked my 12 year old kid, and got the answer with no calculator in 3 seconds. Do you want to subcontract for pocket money lol.

LOL calculate 45 deg? it's same distant adject side.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Sorry Swiss20 but you have to expect a bit of ballbusting with that question. I am a firm believer in there are no bad questions but you’re walking the line.

Roll with the punches my friend. If you stay here long enough you can find a way to poke just about everyone here.

I guess my question to you would be “what are you having a hard time with on doing OD chamfers?”

Stevo