586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What is a VFE

I was looking at a VFE and was wondering if it was a VF1 with extended travel or a VF2 with options. I did notice that even though it was a year 99 machine it had brush servos. What do people think about them? all our machines are brushless
    www.machmachine.com

I think it was VF0E, a VF0 with extended X travel.

We have a couple of machines with brushed servos from the 1990s and both give good service. I know we replaced the Z drive on our 1995 HL1 a couple of years back but considering its age that was not surprising.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I bought a brush type VF1 in 1992. It went with my business when I sold it 9 years ago. It is still in operation at that business and it is 20 years old now.

I remember changing the brushes on the Z axis once, and blowing the dust out a few times.

No difference in operation, so I see no reason to pass up a brushed mill.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

A VFE was a VF0 machine with no options at all. There was no floppy, no swarf auger, no Pcool.
    Brushed axis motors just means that more maintenance will be needed - brushless motors run without maintenance - brushed motors need periodically stripping down and cleaning. To be honest you would be better off buying a machine with brushless motors.

Hope this helps

We have a VF-E with brushed servos, machine came with macros, rigid tapping, and an auger. Every time I read about these they come with something else, hah

I would love to find an explanation of all of the designators myself. I have never found one though.

VF1>, VFE, VFOE, TM>, etc.

Anyone have a real explanation chart.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I always thought that the "E" was designated for education. Seen many in trade schools. Could be extended since X seems to always be larger.

Here is a tentative list:

Mills:
    VF=Standard Mill
    VM=Mold-Making Mill
    TM=Tool-Room Mill
    OM=Office Mill
    EC=Horizontal Mill
    VS=Large Frame Vertical Mill
    HS=Large Frame Horizontal Mill
    UMC=Universal Machining Center (Exclude?)
    E=Standard, no options
    D=Direct Drive
    B=Gear Box
    P=Enclosure, until enclosure became standard
    XT=Extended X axis
    YT=Extended Y axis
    ZT=Extended Z axis
    YZT=Extended Y & Z axis
    SS=Super-Speed

Lathes:
    SL=Old Standard Lathe
    ST=New Standard Lathe
    TL=Tool-Room Lathe
    TL-15,TL-25=SL with a sub-spindle
    OL=Office Lathe

GT=Chucker Lathe
    HPCL=Collet Lathe
    DS=ST with a secondary spindle
    W=Wide-Swing
    B=Big-Bore
    L=Long-bed
    SS=Super-Speed
    APL=Automatic Parts Loader
    T=Tailstock
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

I can add one to the 'tentative list' because I have two of them.

HL= Really Old Standard Lathe
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

So you mean my "SuperSport" badging is a fake!!

So its a VF-EXT with 20x16x20

Im guessing this is a VF0 with the travel of the VF1
    www.machmachine.com

I asked the same question a while back. I learned that Haas switched their VMC's to brushless servos beginning with the 1996 model year.
    However, the VF-E produced in 1996 and some later years used the older style brushed servos which have lower rapid speeds. The "E" stands for economy because these machines sold new for less $$ due to the fact that they used the slower brushed servos. The travels are the same as a VF-0 or VF-1 (20x16x20) and as you've seen they could be ordered with options such as a chip auger, programmable coolant, etc. I don't know if it was available with a gearbox.
    That's what I was told anyway and it appears to be accurate info according to the used VF-E's I've seen advertised.

It would be easy to confuse the VF-E with the VF-0E. The VF-0E is the same as a VF-0 (no gearbox) but the "E" in this case stands for extended X travel. The VF-0E has 30x16x20 travels.

Edit: Just read your last post. The VF-0 and the VF-1 have the same travels. The difference is the VF-0 doesn't have a gearbox and the VF-1 does. I'll just take a swag and say the VF-EXT is a VF-E with extended X travel (30x16x20) maybe? So brush servos with extra X travel.