586,036 active members*
3,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Surfcam Hole Cycle Types and Mpost

Surfcam Hole Cycle Types and Mpost

Hello all :wave:

Although this is my first post, I've been lurking in the shadows for a while finding answers without needing to post... until now. I am using SURFCAM Velocity and posting to a HAAS VF2 with Mpost.

For 2-axis drill operations SURFCAM auto-completes the hole process 'cycle type' according to the selected tool. My issue is that several different cycle types end up using the G81 drilling cycle when it makes more sense for them to use G82 Spot Drill or G83 Peck Drill.

Centerdrill uses G81, and I would prefer G82.
    Spotdrill uses G81, and I would prefer G82.
    Counterbore uses G81, and I would prefer G82, or G83.

Can these be re-assigned either in SURFCAM or Mpost so that the preferred cycle type gets used instead of always using G81? OR is there a canned cycle name in Mpost for Centerdrill, Spotdrill, and/or Counterbore that would allow me to create canned cycle sections in my post for these specific operations?

Thank you for your help!
    Matt

Matt
    If you read what i posted ealier here please disreguard, I reread your question and did not answer it correctly. I am not sure how to change Mpost to make it do what you want, either.

Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by Fest911 View Post
    Hello all :wave:

Although this is my first post, I've been lurking in the shadows for a while finding answers without needing to post... until now. I am using SURFCAM Velocity and posting to a HAAS VF2 with Mpost.

For 2-axis drill operations SURFCAM auto-completes the hole process 'cycle type' according to the selected tool. My issue is that several different cycle types end up using the G81 drilling cycle when it makes more sense for them to use G82 Spot Drill or G83 Peck Drill.

Centerdrill uses G81, and I would prefer G82.
    Spotdrill uses G81, and I would prefer G82.
    Counterbore uses G81, and I would prefer G82, or G83.

Can these be re-assigned either in SURFCAM or Mpost so that the preferred cycle type gets used instead of always using G81? OR is there a canned cycle name in Mpost for Centerdrill, Spotdrill, and/or Counterbore that would allow me to create canned cycle sections in my post for these specific operations?

Thank you for your help!
    Matt
    If you’re asking if you can use a different canned cycle then what your tool defaults to, of course! You can use whatever canned cycle is defined in your "Cycle Control" ~ "Cycle Type" window. You can change any parameter at the moment you created the routine or come back and change your selection later. I’ve even created a few more cycles that will post G12 and G13 when c’boring multiple holes, I name them "C’Bore CCW-CW" and even made one that will take a spring cut for tighter tolerances/finishes.

ToyMaker, Thanks for the reply.

If, on the "Cycle Control" tab, "Cycle Type" = "Spotdrill", I get a G81 canned cycle when I post the code.

How can I get it to post a G82 canned cycle with the same "Cycle Control" tab, "Cycle Type" = "Spotdrill"?

Up to this point the only way I can get a G82 is to always use Countersink instead of Spotdrill, Centerdrill, or Counterbore.

Thanks for your help,
    Matt

ToyMaker, Thanks for the reply.

If, on the "Cycle Control" tab, "Cycle Type" = "Spotdrill", I get a G81 canned cycle when I post the code.

How can I get it to post a G82 canned cycle with the same "Cycle Control" tab, "Cycle Type" = "Spotdrill"?

Up to this point the only way I can get a G82 is to always use Countersink instead of Spotdrill, Centerdrill, or Counterbore.

Thanks for your help,
    Matt
    Under the "Cycle type" use "Counterbore" instead of the default. By using "counterbore, your post is directed to use the G82 canned cycle. Don't worry that your cycle type says "counterbore" with your "center drill", you will post a G82 code.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyMaker94566 View Post
    Under the "Cycle type" use "Counterbore" instead of the default. By using "counterbore, your post is directed to use the G82 canned cycle. Don't worry that your cycle type says "counterbore" with your "center drill", you will post a G82 code.
    Spotdrill, Centerdrill, and Counterbore all output G81.

It sounds like you're saying that if I want G82, I have to use "Countersink" because it relates to Csink in postform.m, which outputs G82.

Are there any Mpost functions that relate to Spotdrill, Centerdrill, or Counterbore?

You can define any canned cycle in m-post.
    You have to edit your postform.m file. You can even use the custom options in the cycle controll tab
    this is an example From Haas Vf series M-post in post lib folder.

Drill # Drilling canned/manual cycle
    G82 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate] P[DWELL]
    end cancel

CSink
    G82 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate] P[Dwell]
    end cancel

PECK # Pecking canned/manual cycle
    G83 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] Q[VBite] P[DWELL] R[Vclear] F[FRate]
    end cancel

CUSTOM1 # Pecking canned/manual cycle
    G73 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] Q[VBite] P[DWELL] R[Vclear] F[FRate]
    end cancel

Tap # Tapping canned/manual cycle
    G84 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[Frate]
    end cancel

LTap # Left handed tapping cycle
    G74 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate]
    end cancel

Ream # Reaming canned/manual cycle
    G85 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate]
    end cancel

Bore # Boring canned/manual cycle
    G76 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate] Q[VBITE]
    end cancel

CUSTOM3 # Boring canned/manual cycle
    G76 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate] Q[VBITE]
    end cancel

Back # Back boring canned/manual cycle
    G87 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate]
    end cancel

You Can change the code in this section to suit your needs.
    I hope this helps

Marcus

Spotdrill, Centerdrill, and Counterbore all output G81.

It sounds like you're saying that if I want G82, I have to use "Countersink" because it relates to Csink in postform.m, which outputs G82.

Are there any Mpost functions that relate to Spotdrill, Centerdrill, or Counterbore?
    Yes, my bad. "Countersink" was what I meant, not "Counterbore". If you open up your postform.m in your post library, you can see what your code will give you. Any of those canned cycles can be manipulated to give you whatever you what them to.

EDIT: Marcus beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSFAB View Post
    You can define any canned cycle in m-post.
    You have to edit your postform.m file. You can even use the custom options in the cycle controll tab
    this is an example From Haas Vf series M-post in post lib folder.

Drill # Drilling canned/manual cycle
    G82 X[H] Y[V] Z[D] R[Vclear] F[FRate] P[DWELL]
    end cancel

Marcus
    That's it! It was so obvious I didn't catch it until I saw the Drill section in your postform.m (which uses G82, not G81).

My postform.m uses G81 for drill, if I change it to G82 like yours, then Spotdrill, Centerdrill, and Counterbore will all output G82 which allows me to use dwell. It will also use G82 when I choose Drill, but that's fine because G82 is just G81 with the addition of dwell.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Matt

Glad you got it.
    cheers

Marcus :cheers:

Old post, but anyway.

Use "if" variables, its easy.
    But you may have to change the adresses
    if you have diffrent letters in your post.

Drill
    if <Dwell> = 0
    G<81> Z<D> R<Vclear> f<FRate> M<Cool>
    else
    G<82> Z<D> R<Vclear> P<Dwell> f<FRate> M<Cool>
    endif
    end cancel
    Then, make sure when posting thay you have the dwell at 0.000
    and the post will oputput G81 instead.