586,922 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Horizontal Finishing - Tool not touching down

Horizontal Finishing - Tool not touching down

Hi All,

Not sure what is going on here, but I have wasted quite a bit of good Oak trying to fix the problem. Hoping one of you can shed some light on the problem.

I am using two tools 1st is a 19mm Flat End with a length of 30mm. This is programmed into the tool library correctly and is being used for horizontal roughing.

My second tool is a 3mm end mill with a length of 19mm. Again I am sure this programmed correctly into the tool library. I am using this tool for horizontal finishing.

Running the simulation all looks great, however when on the machine. The 19mm tool does what it is supposed to but when I put in the 3mm tool it starts cutting about 3mm above the level of the original stock material.

Unless I lie about the length of the tool I just don't know what to do.

I have attached some images of my tool config for both these tools.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3mm_tool.jpg   19mm_tool.jpg  

Okay, lets start from basics...
    Your g-code from visualmill is for the tool tips of both tools and values what you are entering in tool table in your attached pictures are only for simulation in visualmill.. these values are not affecting your g-code.
    You must tell yor machine controll software what is your tool lenghts.
    I think it is possible to configure postprosessor to output code with diffrent leghts but I have never done so..

I agree. Sounds like the tool length offsets are wrong in your control software.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you,

I am using EMC and I think I know what you mean. I will start to transfer the tools to EMC.

OK, I just setup my tools in EMC. I removed the default tools from the tool table and inputed the details of my own. The only thing I know however is the Diameter. I put the length of the tool that sticks out of the router in the Z column. Is this correct.

There are a lot of other fields in there including a POC column but I don't know what they are.

Long and short of it is that after putting my tools in the Axis tool table I ran my Gcode again and got the same result. Before I did this, I closed EMC, reopened it, reloaded the tool table to make sure it was active, then opened the Gcode file and ran the programme.

Am I supposed to put the length of the tool in the Z column or do I somehow have to work out of sets from the first tool I use in my gcode.

Thanks
    Simon

How do you set the length of the tools on your machine?
    I put mine in the spindle and calibrate the H offset by setting the height to a special gauge or a block of known height.

The cam software doesn't care about lengths that is up to you and your machine to set up properly
    www.integratedmechanical.ca