586,069 active members*
3,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Z axis servo removal... help! Please

Z axis servo removal... help! Please

Hi guys, Im having a 3016 delivered to my two car garage shop on Friday. The servo motor needs to come off to fit through my doorway... Ive done a search already but i have a few questions... so far i understand that the head should be blocked up from falling when the z axis motor is removed.. also I've read it makes it much easier to mark the coupler nut so you don't lose the home position... but my first question is do i need to install shipping pins for the counter weight? Idk if the rigger put them in or not... the machine is coming from a an auction and Im taking a huge risk buy this thing. I've never worked on a Fadal... Ive only ever run Haas machines.. so feel free to be completely thorough In answering.. as I know nothing about these. my plan is to remove the servo motor when the rigger arrives with my machine. How long should it take to remove it?

You'll need power hooked up to the machine to insert the counterweight lock. If the machine is already on the way its too late for that.

It shouldn't take very long to dismount the motor. What year is the machine? I'm assuming it's DC servos...if so, remove the 4 bolts and lay the motor down. You don't need to disconnect the motor, just remove it from the mount. You'll also need to knock over the Gortrac (gray or black conduflex runs from the column to the head). Loosen the bolts and lay it on its side to clear your garage.

You'll probably also need to put in a single phase transformer/phase converter unless you have three phase in your garage. We recommend the single phase transformer since it replaces your existing transformer in the back cabinet, saves space, and is normally more cost effective. Contact us if you need more information about this.

We had a 4020 in our garage for awhile for testing purposes. If you need any help at all, feel free to give us a call or send me an email.

-Shelvin
    TheFadalParts.com
    (818) 678-9456
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!