586,308 active members*
3,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: gib repair

gib repair

it seems that my table is loose on the y axis. i have removed and cleaned the gib and tightened it as far as it would go. there is still play in the table. can this be fixed or do i need a new mill? this one has worked for a few years it might be time for some adjustments and repair.

what kind of gibb is it? I just made some for my benchtop out of bronze and sofar it has worked realy well.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

More importantly, what kind of mill is it?

Often with a taper gibb you can make a spacer for the big end (to push it in deeper) and shorten the small end untill it fits the length to the back screw.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

this is a RF-25 series clone. ideally i would like to replace the gib so it works like new. i was planning on converting this mill to cnc but with this going on i might not. i may have to buy another mill to convert.

My mill was used hard and hung up wet. When I got it the gib on the x axis stuck out of the end 3" before tightening.

I just bought some bronze stock from McMaster car and machined it .040" thicker and machined the taper in it and Lapped everything for good measure (don't want to hear it from you scrapers out there :wave: ) and it's now smooth as glass and no play.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"