586,100 active members*
2,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Need Help Choosing a Stepper, Driver, and Contorller Kit

Need Help Choosing a Stepper, Driver, and Contorller Kit

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting into the CNC world and am just about ready to build my first 3 axis Router, but I'm having a hard time choosing a kit with steppers and drivers with the breakout board and power supply. I have looked at a few like the ones from probotix. My main question is what kit would work best for my 40x30x5 machine that uses a wood router.

Any help or advice on anything cnc is greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance

collect more information, you will get more experiences. We have Yako driver and Chinese good stepper motor.

Hi, I'm also just starting out, I've done a fair bit of research and I'm pretty confident I'm going to get it all sorted out, but first I want to plan it all well. HobbyCNC | CNC for the desktop machinist and hobbyist. is run by a guy called dave I think; that's where I plan to get my driver board from at least. The one you will typically get off ebay suffer from missed steps, and as such you won't get too much in the way of accuracy from your machine.

What software are you planning on using? I'm a student so everything is as cheap as I can make it, so the emc project from LinuxCNC.org - Home is my way to go being free and all.

From waht I could tell about probotix, they seemed rather overpriced. hobby cnc and emc have fairly good reputations on cnczone. Of course the hobby cnc driver has it's problems what with being only unipolar drive. www.easy-cnc.com * Your best option in driver boards for CNC machines had a cheap bipolar board which I may use, but I wasn't able to confirm it's reputation... (Unipolar gives a lower torque than the bipolar modes of operation, as you're going to be using wood, shouldn't be too much of a problem.)

I'm just going to go for a cheap power supply off ebay. probably 36V 15A...

lastly google "CNCMechanics v1.2" to find the pdf, it should be exactly what you want to know about doing the calculations if you have a technical background, I'm and engineering major, so I feel as if I have to do calcs before jumping.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Manicalistical View Post
    I'm just going to go for a cheap power supply off ebay. probably 36V 15A...
    I realize you're trying to keep the cost down, but a cheap power supply can give you all sorts of problems. From erratic operation to blown drivers. Just a friendly heads-up.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

I'd lurk around for a little and read up on other people's builds. I've gotten some great ideas and advice just cruising through other people's projects.

As for starting out, I used Keling Inc. Drivers and a SmoothStepper control board. I had a good experience with them.

Best advice I can give you is that if you cut corners, you will spend more time correct the problems that creates than just taking the time to do it right in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsch View Post
    I realize you're trying to keep the cost down, but a cheap power supply can give you all sorts of problems. From erratic operation to blown drivers. Just a friendly heads-up.
    Yes I realise and I am rather worried about it, to compensate I was going to stick with a 36V power supply on a driver which is rated to 42VDC, I'm hoping a spike of 6V is out of the question. Though maybe at startup when closing a switch... Anyway what would you suggest?