586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5
Page 16 of 26 61415161718
    Now I'm really excited! If 9hp is not out of reach for a motor like this, that is outstanding. My main goal is to put together a model that will be a lot of fun and roast the tires without sounding like a weedeater. This is really starting to sound feasible! For now, I will be concentrating on building the motor, but afterward, my next goal will be to build a dyno so that the output on one of these puppies can really be verified and therefore improved and experimented on. Of course, I'll post any progress notes/pics if anyone is interested.

On a side note, I am amazed at how much I can learn on this forum just by asking a few simple questions. There is a lot of knowledge here and I'm more than happy to soak it up! Thanks gentlemen!

Harley,
    were always interested in new projects. that's why we all come here.

Had some lathe cycle time the last couple days so I had the mill busy working on the engine block. one thing to note to anyone considering building from Steve's plans. make sure one of the first things you do is the cam hole. when you do the water passage holes would be a good time. I waited til the end. not a good plan. it made getting the bore in the block far more difficult than it would have been had I done it at the beginning. I was successful but it wasn't easy.

Craig, it is interesting that you camshaft bearing hole diameter now looks close to the crankshaft bearing hole diameter.

I presume the crankshaft bearing size might end up larger than plan depending on the crankshaft design you settle on?

In any event, this block looks very sturdy - enlarging the cam and crank channels will allow the use of more robust cam and crank shafts without any downside that I can see.

actually the bearing sizes are not any larger than necessary. scaling did make choosing a different bearing size required. but its no bigger than Steves other than scaled. original crank was .5 mine is .75. the cam was .625 scaled would be .9375 but I canot get bearings in that size so I went with .875 which is smaller than the scaled size. but yes my crank and cam holes are closer to the same size than Steves. only because of bearing availability.

I also have to thank Steve for supplying me with an updated drawing for the piston ring fixture. since I scaled mine, the original fixture would no longer work. I was going to merely scale the fixture, but Steve felt that just scaling it might not yield the optimum size for the rings I need to make. So he took the time to make me a new fixture drawing based on my piston size.

On a side note. The ignitions arrived today. havent had a chance to play with them yet. I have to finish the other parts for the distributor first. I did go with the 20kv wires.

just for the sake of curiosity I weighed the bare block. its at 3.895 lbs.

ken
    you asked a few days ago what i was making that was "work" related. the John Deere stuff I couldn't elaborate on. but this job I will share with you guys. this is the 4th one of these I have made now. it was designed as a weldment. but they discovered that nobody wanted to quote on it let alone make it. I myself declined to quote this job as a weldment because stainless warps like no other especially when its thin. this is how I make this out of solid material. which is 316 stainless. I started on it this morning as a piece of round stock 4.75 dia x 5.0 long. heres where I am so far.

op 1 roughing in the mill.

a locating circle was milled .01 deep for locating the slug I weld onto it.

then to the lathe for more roughing.

heres where I am right now. more material needs to com off yet.

heres the next step in the process. a little more lathe work to go from here.

ok heres the last of the lathe work now its back to the mill.

Very nice finish on that, have only turned a little stainless but it does give a nice finish at least on the 316.

Seems most material will give a nice finish with the proper cutter geometry, sharpness, feed and speed etc, some material is just not as fussy as others.

the trick with stainless is finding the right speed and feed and still keep the cutting edge. when I first got into stainless work I hated it. especially the 316 series. it eats tooling. 304 is kinda gummy. but now I prefer 316.

not going to get much done today. have eye doc appt and delivering the john deere parts and on top of that. moving the daughter back to the dorms.

For someone that is not going to do much today it sure seems you have a full day ahead of you.

Im pretty sure you knew I meant that I wasn't going to get much done in the shop today.

Oh I added one thing to the to do list today. found a surface grinder for sale. in fact its on the way to where Im delivering parts. might be coming home with it if they still have it.

OK back at it again. heres what I did so far this morning. knocked off the spud I welded onto it. dusted the off the surface where the welds were so they don't interfere with the next ops. drilled and tapped the flange so I can bolt it onto the fixture. it will stay on this fixture until the very last op. now comes a whole lot of material removal. when I'm done I will have about 10 percent left of what I started with.

the part is getting lighter. heres what it looks like now after a bunch of roughing with a 3" face mill.

What is this thing you're making supposed to be once you've finished?

the name of the part on the print is Body Discharge Port. its for a pharmaceutical company. Ken Shea had asked what I was working on that was taking me away from the engine project so I thought I would post pics of what I'm working on as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    the name of the part on the print is Body Discharge Port. its for a pharmaceutical company. Ken Shea had asked what I was working on that was taking me away from the engine project so I thought I would post pics of what I'm working on as I go.
    No wonder I didn't recognize it....

Tom

Page 16 of 26 61415161718