586,119 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FAPT in metric

Good day All

Another question, we have fatp on our little lathe and it is in metric. What parameter needs to altered to put it into imperial? It was purchased 3rd hand I am trying my best to get it going for my new part time job. Small 1 man gang shop. Thanks in advance.

Which model control do you have on your machine??

Stevo

Hi Steve

It is the 10T EF control. The owner gave me some books last night to go through (wednesday) but they are for the Yasnac control supporting the Multi option. We have FAPT on our's. Very little to no information them for FAPT. Thanks in advance for your help. Enjoy the day

Gerry Badger

Gerry,
    I have to be honest with you that I have never used the FAPT on my 10t control. I always used the CNC side. On the CNC side it is G20 for inch and G21 for metric. It is also settable under the Handy settings softkey.

Any reason you don’t use the CNC side? I have not worked on this control in years.

Stevo

steveo

Hi Steve

sorry to bad to you so late. The boss wants to use it. I got it to work. Just need to get the tool, material and feed/speed files updated. We are using Mastercam for the programming. Thanks for your help though. We have no manuals for it. How do you save the above files in FAPT? We got manuals with the machine but they are for a Yaznac control supporting Multi Seiki conversational. Thanks in advance for your time and Help

Gerry

Gerry,
    Sorry I am not up on the FAPT lingo and or using it. I have only seen a handful of people here on the zone that are going to be able to explain the FAPT side to you as many people no longer use it. I think it may have been Dan Fritz who explained a bit of it some time ago in another thread. I simple press the CNC key and use the CNC side of the control with workcoordinates, tooloffsets and simple G-code to program and run parts.

Your boss wants to run the machine and it may be in your best interest time wise just to use the CNC side. All that needs is your mastercam G-code along with touching off the tools you need. That would make more sense to me because what I have heard about the FAPT side is it is more for programming shapes right at the control instead of using any kind of programming software so you may not be doing yourself any favors.

Stevo

Steve

I see what you mean for getting the work coordinates, never thought of that before. My boss can turn on a computer and then mastercam and it ends there. Fapt is for when you do not have any cam software as you state. I could be spending lots of time showing / teaching him that. Thanks for all your help. Enjoy the weekend

Gerry

Your welcome. You also have a good weekend.

Stevo

What does FAPT stand for?

FAPT stands for FANUC APT. The APT programming language was used long ago in creating complicated part programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APT_(programming_language)

FANUC sold programmers (System P Model G, PG Mate, PG Mark II and other earlier boxes) and software (FAPT Turn, FAPT Die, FAPT Mill, etc) for generation of part programs. They also used the FAPT term on lathes that had a built-in conversational part programming environment. One interesting thing is that they kept the FAPT prefix when they made the PMC Ladder Programming software for the same programmer boxes. FAPT Ladder and FAPT Pascal allowed development of the machine interface even thow they had nothing to do with the FAPT (or APT derived) part programming software.

Fanuc Automatic Programmed Tools. This what I was told 23 yrs ago