586,612 active members*
3,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Choosing the right CNC mill

Hello everyone! To start off, let me share some of my background with you. I have recently started my own business that involves manufacturing certain goods. I am a skilled welder and have some experience with machines like CNC plasma cutters but have never worked with a mill before. I feel I have a decent understanding of how to operate such equipment enough to get myself started, but definitely am no expert. What I need help with is finding a reliable machine that will fit my needs and try to stay within my budget. My needs include:

• Must be able to cut aluminum, medium-carbon steel, titanium, and magnesium.
    • It will mostly be used to produced aluminum parts.
    • Parts made on it may be up to 16" long.
    • Must be able to add 4th axis in the future.
    • My budget is about 10k, if there is a really good reason to go over that I will but not by very much.

I have been thinking the Syil X6 might be a good fit but I'm coming here hoping someone can show me what might be better. Feel free to ask questions if I didn't give enough info.

Thank You,
    Eric.

P.S. The machine does not have to be new. If I am able to pick up a better but still RELIABLE used machine I will.

i just got a x6 last week an ive been testing it alot . it seems pretty good but it can't compare to my old bridgeport 9x42 manual mill . the ridget ness is lacking but not needed for the most part with smaller cuts ( .05 deep @.25''cutter ) even a small cut like that seems to vibrate
    i find the table is great size an moves well , the one i got is alot different then the one listed on the site .. in better ways
    it is super easy to use with mach3 . any question let me know.
    also if you ordered one plan on a long wait an some set up questions

Here is a review a fellow forum member wrote: <http://www.avartmetalworks.com/chrisengineweb_010.htm>
    I thought it might be useful.