586,096 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Robohand DLT cylinder removal

I have a couple of robohand DLT thrusters with the replaceable cylinders and need to learn how to remove the cylinders without damaging the cylinder or the table. I have removed all of the visible set screws and disconnected the rod from the tooling plate.

However, the cylinder won't come out of the table body. It will rotate, but won't pop out. If someone knows how and can instruct or knows where a PDF or DOC file is that describes the process, that would be great!

Thank you.

The cylinder is part of the main body, not a separate part. To take the rod and piston out, there is a internal snap-ring, in the main body opposite the rod. Take that snap-ring out and push the rod until the piston knocks the end cap out. Then remove rod and piston out of main body.

Thanks for the answer packrat! that helped with the internal type. However, I do have several that use an external piston assembly and the this external piston is held from rotation by set screws.

However, there is something (snap ring?) holding the piston assembly from being extracted. There also is a cap on the inside of the body that has a horizontal slot and the push rod runs down the middle of it. I wonder if this cap is hiding the snap ring?

Thanks.

@rippersoft - do you mean that the piston rod goes through the part with the slot?
    If so, it may be a seal retainer that screws into the rod bushing. Try making a spanner wrench out of some sheetmetal to fit the slots or even use two screwdriver tips. It may be a left hand thread so if it doesn't move one way try the other. Good luck, and post back how you make out.