587,518 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345
    Did a lot of cutting today on 3/16 looked like 28 IPM was the best speed for the Power Max 30.

The edges are very good and better than the PlasmaCam with a Powermax 1250 but that is probably because my consumables are in better shape.

I mounted the control box and tidied the wires up a bit. So i broke out the good camera for some photos.

I will be designing and cutting some limit switch mounts later this week.

whats the best way to clean up that edge?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    whats the best way to clean up that edge?
    You mean the dross? I just chip it off with another piece of steel, the edge is good enough for what I do with the parts. I heard something about soaking them in a acid bath overnight, I might try that once I get the shop re arranged.

The parts coming off this machine look better than the parts I got cut on a PlasmaCam with a PowerMax 1250, all the parts he cut for me the edges had a bevel to it. Mine are pretty close to a 90.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBound View Post
    You mean the dross? I just chip it off with another piece of steel, the edge is good enough for what I do with the parts. I heard something about soaking them in a acid bath overnight, I might try that once I get the shop re arranged.

The parts coming off this machine look better than the parts I got cut on a PlasmaCam with a PowerMax 1250, all the parts he cut for me the edges had a bevel to it. Mine are pretty close to a 90.
    Yes, the dross. Sorry my lingo is not up to speed quite yet. The parts look awesome.

I found a few prices online check out this link. If i only do thin parts would it be worth the extra cost of jumping to a larger plasma with extra features or not?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hypert...5_vs_65_a.html

Well my aluminum rails arrived today. I have to do a whole bunch of parts first before I can take the machine offline for a few days to paint and install the new rails. I hope to have time to do that sometime next week.

So took the weekend and painted the machine and got the new rails installed.
    Man do they work good, I was able to get to 250 ipm with almost no jitter where before i could only go 100 ipm with lots of jitter.

I thought it only made sense to paint it yellow since I drive this beast all over the place.

Here is a video of it cutting aluminum at 250 ipm
    Content Not Found | Facebook

Your gantry rail in the last picture looks like it's made from aluminum. Did you change the original steel one ??
    Also, how do you like the "V" groove bearings? What type of steel are they running on?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Your gantry rail in the last picture looks like it's made from aluminum. Did you change the original steel one ??
    Also, how do you like the "V" groove bearings? What type of steel are they running on?
    Yes it was they are now running on the PBC linear rails. The steel ones I did just to get the machine up and running sooner.

Today I decided to buy the full version of sheetcam and mach3. It was so nice to be able to run a full 4x4 sheet and not have to reset home for it.

Later this week I plan to buy a Powermax 45 plasma, as the 30 is driving me nuts with poor tip life on 3/16 steel.

You'll love the 45.

I've used the PM30 consumables on mine for thinner stuff, and they don't last NEARLY as long as the 45A parts.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    You'll love the 45.

I've used the PM30 consumables on mine for thinner stuff, and they don't last NEARLY as long as the 45A parts.
    Yea It looks like a great machine from what I hear, and looks like it will do 1/2" nicely.

I was debating about getting a 65 but I only have one product that would need 3/4" steel and I can buy them from a third party and include the cost in my product. So it is a little hard to justify another $800. Oh and then I would need some kind of crane to load the material, I figure I can upgrade later on if I need more capacity.

That is cool you can use the PM30 consumables on the 45! As I bought a whole bunch of nozzles and electrodes, ill use them for when I do thin metal and aluminum.

Yea It looks like a great machine from what I hear, and looks like it will do 1/2" nicely.

I was debating about getting a 65 but I only have one product that would need 3/4" steel and I can buy them from a third party and include the cost in my product. So it is a little hard to justify another $800. Oh and then I would need some kind of crane to load the material, I figure I can upgrade later on if I need more capacity.

That is cool you can use the PM30 consumables on the 45! As I bought a whole bunch of nozzles and electrodes, ill use them for when I do thin metal and aluminum.
    I've cut 3/4" with mine. It's slow, but does an OK job of it if you get in a pinch. You'll have to drill a hole for the "pierce", or edge-start it though.

For the PM30 parts, you'll need all of 'em...the nozzle, electrode, swirl ring, retaining cup. It is nice for the slower feed speeds, but the cut height is more difficult since it's SO close. Also, remember to turn your machine down to 30A, since the parts don't react well to being run at 45A. (flame2)
    Carl

Now I am just debating the best place to buy it... Support the local shop or order online.

Ordered it from Welders Source, and they already shipped it! Hope to have it by monday.

Got the 45 hooked up, I ended up opening the machine and soldering a lead to the trigger wires. Took me all of 5 minutes and it was hooked to the plasma table.

Cut some SS 1/4" at 44 IPM 45A and it was great almost no dross. Then we cut some 16G at 225IPM 30A and was amazing seeing the CNC move that fast. I am uploading a video now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMlml5ykCc]Powermax 45 cnc table - YouTube[/ame]

Got the 45 hooked up, I ended up opening the machine and soldering a lead to the trigger wires. Took me all of 5 minutes and it was hooked to the plasma table.

Cut some SS 1/4" at 44 IPM 45A and it was great almost no dross. Then we cut some 16G at 225IPM 30A and was amazing seeing the CNC move that fast. I am uploading a video now.
    Any chance you can do some .025" or .063" aluminum sheet? I can send you a few pieces. I want to see what kind of dross build up there is. looks really fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Any chance you can do some .025" or .063" aluminum sheet? I can send you a few pieces. I want to see what kind of dross build up there is. looks really fast!!!
    lll get some photos later today or tomorrow, my fan shrouds are made from .050 aluminum and cut with the 30 at 200 IPM with almost none at all. In fact I don't clean the product before shipping so it is almost non exist-ant.

I will probably use my 30 consumables for cutting the aluminum considering I got about 10 sets left of those.

lll get some photos later today or tomorrow, my fan shrouds are made from .050 aluminum and cut with the 30 at 200 IPM with almost none at all. In fact I don't clean the product before shipping so it is almost non exist-ant.

I will probably use my 30 consumables for cutting the aluminum considering I got about 10 sets left of those.
    That is good to hear!

I was worried about countless hours of cleaning dross off sheet metal. haha

Can't wait to see a video! the last video that thing was cruising!!

Page 3 of 5 12345