586,100 active members*
2,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    Very nice !!:cheers:

I noticed you water is about 1/2 -3/4 below the work surface. Are you getting much dust in the air ? What about dross ?

I started building my table this week, but made the water tray somewhat adjustable. Some say to have the water just below the work ( like yours ), others are saying to have the water 4-5 inches lower.

I'll start my build thread here once I have more pictures.

Good job,
    Dan

Welcome to www.dantechfabricating.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Very nice !!:cheers:

I noticed you water is about 1/2 -3/4 below the work surface. Are you getting much dust in the air ? What about dross ?

I started building my table this week, but made the water tray somewhat adjustable. Some say to have the water just below the work ( like yours ), others are saying to have the water 4-5 inches lower.

I'll start my build thread here once I have more pictures.

Good job,
    Dan

Welcome to www.dantechfabricating.com
    Dross on the aluminum I don't need to clean, it is almost non existent. On 3/16 steel plate it takes a quick scrape around the edges to remove but no grinding is required for my needs.

The water catches 95% of the airborne dust, only a little on the machine rails after a month of use.

The bottom of the tank has a ton of material and will need to be cleaned again soon, so it is catching most of the material.

I have thought about putting a vent on the side and running it to the roof of the house as I have a space 8" flue to the roof from the garage. This would allow me to cut with the roll up closed.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBound View Post
    I have thought about putting a vent on the side and running it to the roof of the house as I have a space 8" flue to the roof from the garage. This would allow me to cut with the roll up closed.
    Funny you mention that !! That's what I did to my table. It's vented on the side rails in hopes that it will catch anything that the water missed.

I will try and post my build pics tonight.
    Dan
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !!
    www.dantechfabricating.com

Finally cut some 1/2" steel with it and WOW! I followed JimColts instructions found online and it did a great job.

14IPM for the hole, 1" round with .040 bevel

The outside is 20IPM and about 1-2 degree bevel.

The edge was not ground at all exempt the very tip where it was pierced.

Looks like I may have burnt my x axis out... Last night we had a few errors in mach3 "driver watchdog" and today I upgraded Mach 3 to the latest version and it works on all axises but x, x moves like it is missing parts to it and not moving smoothly.

I found the fan on the TB6560 not working so possibly the chip overheated?

I am going to trouble shoot tonight and tomorrow but I may be installing a G540 monday or tuesday...

Yep, that sucks.
    That's how mine went out.

Unfortunately, I broke my new G540. But you know what? Gecko support is fixing it for free. Can't beat that with a stick. The performance of the G540 for just the few minutes I got to play with it was amazingly noticeable.

Thanks for the pics of the settings I asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by rodder View Post
    Yep, that sucks.
    That's how mine went out.

Unfortunately, I broke my new G540. But you know what? Gecko support is fixing it for free. Can't beat that with a stick. The performance of the G540 for just the few minutes I got to play with it was amazingly noticeable.

Thanks for the pics of the settings I asked for.
    How did you fry the G540? They are local to me so I am going to see if they will let me drive over and pick one up monday, I was going to work on a bunch of prototypes this weekend so this was horrible timing for it to fail.

Sorry about the screen shots, i got way busy and just looked. sure enough a unread PM from you a month ago... (chair)

I got the G540, good thing GeckoDrive is local to me so I took a drive and picked it up in person. They are great people.

Hooked it up and it is super smooth, the steppers are near silent and the cutting is amazing, before on certain radiuses it would look all jagged, but not anymore.

Here is a rear bumper I am working on, Cut on the CNC and then bent on my custom press brake.

NIce work. How about a picture of your brake?............jb

The press, it is massive. 55" wide mouth, with a 37.5" wide die. I am adding some bracing to the frame this week.

And the finished bumper

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBound View Post
    Cut delay fixed - YouTube

Much better without that delay!!!

AMAZING!! Do you do any small side jobs? May have to send you a couple test files i wanted cut out of sheet aluminum to see the cut quality before i dive in.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    AMAZING!! Do you do any small side jobs? May have to send you a couple test files i wanted cut out of sheet aluminum to see the cut quality before i dive in.

Yea I could do that, you should see how smooth the machine runs with the Gecko G540. I thought it was the machine that caused the wobble, but I was wrong it was the TB6560.

Thanks for the look at your brake. I need to find a deal on one..........jb

I built the press for about $450 including the brake die.

Nice job on the bumper! Thanks for showing your brake design.

Brad

Shoot me your email address in a message!

split collar

Dirtbound, nice job on the build. I am working on one now. Can you tell me where you bought your split collar to hold your torch?

Quote Originally Posted by lik2waterski View Post
    Dirtbound, nice job on the build. I am working on one now. Can you tell me where you bought your split collar to hold your torch?
    It is just a shaft collar from the hardware store, I want to replace it with this one from mcmaster as it requires no tools to open.
    McMaster-Carr

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it!
    Travis

Page 5 of 5 345