586,103 active members*
3,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can this be controlled with mach 3?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM9qb-2Xy-E&feature=related"]‪Mori Seiki NL-2000MC‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Could a machine like this be controlled with mach 3? Could the spindle motor have feedback control so the machine could drill holes offset from the center? Sorry I'm a newbie to lathes so I don't know the proper terms.

Hi. I don´t believe it is possible.
    If you have a mori seiki, use a control that help you to optimize your producction, get the maximun accurancy, speed and all the beneficts of this machine.
    I will investigate if there any possibility to do this.

I want to build a small lathe for machining plastics and would like to incorporate a turret tool changer and I was hoping for feed back on the spindle so I could complete an entire part on one machine. I can build all the mechanics of the machine but am lost at the control. I use Mach 3 for a mill and router, and have no experience with a CNC lathe.

Hi

Yes you can use Mach3 just fine on a hobby lathe, if you want to build something similar to the video you need to write a brain or something to switch from "spindle mode" to "Servo mode" on the spindle, you also need an encoder on it for the C-axis of course.

There are some people that have done work on multi-spindles, look to the guys at Fusion they sell a plugin I think.

If you want rigid tapping you should consider using something like KFlop to control your machine, your turret would then be your "main spindle" while your actual spindle is your "second spindle" you can then rigid tap with the turret and thread with the spindle.

If you are in the US just keep a lookout for a small machine that already have this functionality it's a real big deal to do! You can pick up a older machine ready to go for less than $3000 if you are patient for the right deal.