586,119 active members*
3,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sloppy x2 z gibs

just got my x2 (for a CNC conversion project) this morning and after dissambly, cleaning, inspection lubrication, assembly and adjustment the z axis gibs are too lsloppy. The head has way too much backlash (horizontal rotational play). I have tried to tighten the gibs even more but it becomes too stiff, too much friction.

I'm converting the x and y axes from gib to pacific bearing PRT (profile rail technology) http://www.pbclinear.com/Profile-Rai...-Linear-Guides and this gave me an idea.

could i use the same linear technology but vertically on the z axis with them bolted to a solid steel riser? This would reduce the amount of friction to the ball screw assembly. These are the two different types I'm considering using

http://www.pbclinear.com/Profile-Rai...-Linear-Guides which is the same as the x-y axes but multiples in parallel or

IVTAAQ Bolt-On Linear Guides - Double Width | Integral V Technology I am considering this method more than the above method.

Any feedback suggestions would be helpful and appreciated...tyvm

Hi,

Your links don't work very well, but I believe what you are looking at is the same thing being sold by different places. I have been looking at those slides for a possible router table build which is why I say that.

I have a X2. On mine, the gibbs I managed to adjust with some playing around but the screws are a joke. Did you make a new shim for the gibb adjuster or just try to use the supplied one? I would suggest making a new shim and see how that works for you.

Back to your question, No idea how the guides would work but see no reason why they shouldn't with the types of things one would machine on a X2.

Robert