586,446 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hack CNC Router - Advice needed

Greetings people,

I'm in the process of building a CNC router intended for Oxygen-Butane/Acetilene cutting. It's a hack build, real weird, made mostly out of structural steel using only basic tools and machinery.

The machine is fairly large, I'm going for a 1.5 x 1.5 m (about 4,9 x 4,9 feet) working area. The gantry will travel on Angle-Bearing assemblies propelled via lead screws.

I intend to use 2 stepper motors on the X-axis (3Nm or 425 Oz-in each).

Here follows my dilemma:

Now, keep in mind that I am a hack and an idiot, so I would appreciate if you went easy on me. Here goes, my main concerns are the following:

- First, the main gantry's weight, it's bloody heavy. I figure it's going to total at about 60 kg (132 lbs). I will do my best to eliminate friction but still...

- Second, my lead screws are... well, too big. 24mm major diameter, 5 mm per revolution.

Basically what I want to know is if my motors will be able to even move this thing. I don't have any special requirements as to acceleration. I will be doing some testing, perhaps on Monday but I thought I'd ask you guys before doing anything.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

I'm pretty sure you can move that weight with your steppers easily given that you use the proper drivers. The weight of the screws will limit things a little but since you're not aiming for high speed I don't see any problem.
    http://www.build.cl

Quote Originally Posted by Walky View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can move that weight with your steppers easily given that you use the proper drivers. The weight of the screws will limit things a little but since you're not aiming for high speed I don't see any problem.
    Much appreciated. I will see about the drivers, I currently have one of those TB6560 based boards on hand, will see how that works.

I'll update once I get some testing done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion1138 View Post
    Much appreciated. I will see about the drivers, I currently have one of those TB6560 based boards on hand, will see how that works.

I'll update once I get some testing done.
    Sorry to say this, but that's far from being a proper driver, just a bunch of components crappily put together (search TB6560 in the forums and look at the amount of problems people have with it and you'll see what I mean), and it also meant for smaller motors. If you can afford better drivers, going with something from Geckodrive with give you much better performance and reliability. A G540 is probably the best bang for the buck, but it depends a lot on your motors (what is their current and inductance?).
    http://www.build.cl

Quote Originally Posted by Walky View Post
    Sorry to say this, but that's far from being a proper driver, just a bunch of components crappily put together (search TB6560 in the forums and look at the amount of problems people have with it and you'll see what I mean), and it also meant for smaller motors. If you can afford better drivers, going with something from Geckodrive with give you much better performance and reliability. A G540 is probably the best bang for the buck, but it depends a lot on your motors (what is their current and inductance?).
    I'm aware of these issues, but I got the thing cheap a while ago so I'll try and see what happens. It's a newer version of the board, the third I think with a redesigned architecture, so maybe it'll surprise me, who knows.

Current is 3 Amps, phase inductance 3.3x(1+20%) mH.

Also, Geckos are fairly expensive by my standards. More than half of a months work.