586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Corel Draw explanation?

Hi All,
    I am looking into getting Corel Draw. When I go to there website I am getting lost in the woods of information about the different versions. What I intend to do is to create shapes and text and then export them as a DXF file that supports true arcs instead of arcs converted into line segments.

1. What version of Corel draw will have that functionality?

2. Does it allow you to create in layers that when exported as a DXF the layer information is retained?

3. Does it have dimension tools and do they export in DXF as well?

Thanks,
    Scott

@Scott;
    I was just on their site upgrading, it is confusing. I am now running CorelDraw 12, bought in 2006. I think that their Technical Design package includes their newest version of CorelDraw, for a price of course. I have played with their CorelCAD (which can export stl files, which FreeMill should be able to use), but not tested the dxf export. I can let you know when my new versions arrive.

Layers are preserved on export to dxf at least in AutoCAD 2002 format, and their names are retained when imported by VCarvePro. Dimension lines and text are also imported correctly, but I could never get CD-12 to put arrow heads on the lines as I wanted. My test included squares, circles and text. In VCP my 3" circle shows up with many nodes, separated by ~0.020". I don't know if this can be adjusted, but the segment length increases with the circle diameter. Exporting as segments may be because CorelDraw12 treats circles as ellipses, which would not translate to arcs well (I think). There used to be an after-market plugin that would export in smoother curves, but I have never tried this.

I have attached my exported dxf file here.
    Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ssutton View Post
    Hi All,
    I am looking into getting Corel Draw. When I go to there website I am getting lost in the woods of information about the different versions. What I intend to do is to create shapes and text and then export them as a DXF file that supports true arcs instead of arcs converted into line segments.

1. What version of Corel draw will have that functionality?

2. Does it allow you to create in layers that when exported as a DXF the layer information is retained?

3. Does it have dimension tools and do they export in DXF as well?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott,
    I use CorelDraw X3 and have learned that the DXF export in Corel Draw is pretty much useless. However, I have discovered that by using CD's Export function (click File, Export, and scroll down to select the HPGL.PLT format) that the proper scale is preserved for importing into program's such as Mach 3's LazyCAM. Unfortunately, CorelDraw does create multiple line segments, instead of true arcs on circular shapes. So even using this option for file export will present it's own set of problems.
    I have been using CorelDRAW since version 8.0 thru X3, and prefer using it for art creation since it is the program I am most familiar with using. However, arc problems you describe is what prompted me to invest in a dedicated CAD/CAM program. The $$$ investment pales in comparison to the TIME investment in the learning curve. Corel Draw has a much simpler point and click interface, than does the CAD software. So, for simple stuff, I still prefer using Corel Draw for art creation. (At least until I become proficient at using the BobCAD/CAM software). The Corel Draw Graphics Suite X3 is desirable for me, because of the MANY graphic file formats it can import from, or export to.
    Taking the time to learn the snap features of CD can yield some usable results, which compare in many ways to the file output of CAD programs. But not ALL. A dedicated CAD program is still needed in some situations. Since getting into CNC, I have learned that a single program which can be used to create the graphic files, toolpaths, and g code does not seem to exist.
    It all depends on what you are trying to do, but the world of CNC seems to often require the use of multiple programs to achieve a desired result. I thought that since BobCAD/CAM was a program which can be used to create both the graphic drawing, and the toolpath g code file, that it would (finally) be a one-program solution. However, depending on what I am trying to do, I still find myself using as many as 6 programs to process a given piece of artwork into a finished carving, or part. For example, I wanted to do a carving of some grapes, hanging on a grapevine on a wooden column.
    I start out in Corel Draw, creating the basic artwork I want to carve. Color it in Corel Draw (to be able to assign different cut depths later), select the image in Corel Draw, and export it as a *.PNG file. Close Corel, launch MechCAM Art, load the PNG file, edit the various colors to the desired cut depths, and shaping choices available in that software. Create the toolpath, and save the G code file. Close MeshCAM Art. Launch CNCWrapper, load the G code file created in MeshCAM Art (which is incidentally a 3D file), and convert the file to be carved onto the surface of a cylinder mounted on the 4th axis of my machine. Close CNCWrapper. Launch Mach3, load the converted G code file into Mach3, navigate to the toolpath screen to verify the toolpath is correct, and FINALLY start the carving! For bitmap images, the list of software used can grow beyond all of these! However, as a Corel Draw user, I highly recommend the Graphics Suite for it's versatility -even though it too, has limitations, it's a great program for all-around art creation.

Quote Originally Posted by adprinter View Post
    Scott,
    I use CorelDraw X3 and have learned that the DXF export in Corel Draw is pretty much useless.
    Why is that? I have never had problems, although the various versions of AutoCAD compatibility are confusing (and with no explanation). I have been using the AutoCAD 2002 export with no problems that would make it useless.
    Are there more sophisticated pieces of information that do not export well?

My X5 programs arrived this week, and I will see how they fare ...
    Cheers!

If you 're using Corel Draw for CNC work, you really should look into this .dxf exporter.
    DXFTool Standard Edition
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    Why is that? I have never had problems, although the various versions of AutoCAD compatibility are confusing (and with no explanation). I have been using the AutoCAD 2002 export with no problems that would make it useless.
    Are there more sophisticated pieces of information that do not export well?

My X5 programs arrived this week, and I will see how they fare ...
    Cheers!
    Paul,
    Every time I have attempted to use the Export as DXF function in X3, the resulting file (once opened into LazyCAM) was a postage stamp sized image, with segmented lines instead of true arcs or circles, the scale of the drawing was anything BUT preserved, etc. It was a rare occurrence, to find lines which were drawn in CorelDraw to be connected, once imported into LazyCAM for toolpath creation. Even after adjusting LazyCAM's extents to correct this, often what SHOULD have been closed entities are interpreted as single line segments instead. A very frustrating situation when creating Pocket toolpaths in particular. However, by exporting drawings in the HPGL.PLT (plot) file formats, the scale is acurately preserved as drawn, and all aspects of the drawing turn out much better when imported into LazyCAM for toolpath creation. I do have the X4 version upgrade, but have just never gotten around to installing it. After you install X5, please report your findings here, as far as it's performance in creating usable DXF files for CNC use. I use CorelDraw for my screen printing business, and am considering the upgrade from X3 to X5 Graphics Suite. (As soon as finances will allow, that is).

@adprinter
    check my pm

pr

Before you buy Corel Draw, be sure to check the FREE product DraftSight from Dassault Systems. They both use the same CAD engine. Corel Draw does have more features, including programmability, but if you only need standard drawing functions take a look at DraftSight.