586,117 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > bobcad/cam issues

bobcad/cam issues

Here, MikeG is talking about more indepth video tutorials (push play to start video) not on line live video conference type tutorials...

Yes We do have the more in-depth ones still available , however they are for support members only . For more information on these please call Autumn at 877-262-2231 EXT 126 . She can give all the info on these . Also they are listed on the webinars page of website as well .

MikeG
    BobCAD-CAM

These more in depth videos...you have to push pay to play Lol. Is your company that hard up/desperate for money????

yea...I've been giving your company and demo a try and this is the conclusion I've come to...
    you care more about getting more money than you do about getting new customers. Because of this I couldn't morally recommend anyone to you until your business ethics change

bobcad/cam seem to only want to help you learn their software if you pay them, ie...buy the registered full version (with out even knowing if I'll use/like it), pay for lessons at $150.00 (minimum) an hour (again with out even knowing if I'll use/like it) , pay $400.00 dollars for 12 months of support (again with out even knowing if I'll use/like it). You cant even join their bobcad/cam forums unless you pay . How do they expect to get new customers if they don't want to help new customers learn/understand their software? Don't they know that people use the demo first to try/test it AND get a feel for the company behind it. I'm not going to pay for something that I don't even know if I can use it or if I'll even like it. At this point, I don't think I will be using it even as a demo to try and learn it due to their lack of care, concern, support for first time users because they seem to put their need for money before their desire for gaining new loyal customers. guess I should say something good...But it does appear to me to be very professional looking.

For these reasons I have decided to look into other cad/cam...possibly dolphin

I gave them a try because of mach3 recommendations and bobcad/cam video testimonials. Speaking of the video testimonials...I can find desert nomads that were sold sand and happy about it.

I'm not trying to badmouth, disparage or soil bobcad/cam reputation or its users or discourage any one considering using them. This is just my personal experience and feelings and conclusions from dealing with bobcad/cam demo and navigating their website

I hope this doesn't get me banned from forum. The community members have been very helpful and I am greatful.
    Richard

How do they expect to get new customers if they don't want to help new customers learn/understand their software?
    Thats what the Demo is for.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Thats what the Demo is for.
    Lol...the demo is for people that have experience (already know how to use) cad/cams. Besides that not all software are equal this especially applies to programmers.

AS in my post "new" meant new as in virgin customers not more customers. I just don't agree with their business ethics of wanting you to pay for more informative tutorial videos to learn what you're looking at and how to really do something. I don't need their tech /customer yet, they don't provide enough information for a newbie to make a decision to buy their product. It gives me the feeling that I'm being held at gun point with them saying "your money or your life". With that attitude their gonna have to take my life before they get one penny of my money.

I love the way it looks. It doesnt look like a cheap ripped off copy of microsoft windows like so many of the others including dolphin, but looks doesn't get the cowboy on the horse.

That's why I feel that their business ethics are centered around getting as many all mighty dollars as they can rather than gaining new "first time customers"
    Take a look at dolphin...the videos are more informative and I dont get the sense that they care more about getting my money than giving me enough knowledgeable material to make an informed decision.
    That"s all I'm trying to convey.
    Richard

Well, it was just an odd post from a new user... It does seem like you have an impression that you are stuck with..

There are plenty of free BobCad videos to look at how the software works and learn to use it. You can start here from Sean Owens videos he makes and gives away for free:

‪BobcadcamSupport's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Do you think BobCad should give everything away for free? The software is priced "Insanley low" for what it is capable of... You can buy and forget if thats what you want too, no need to keep on buying ( I think you'll find this "Not the norm")

There are also paid tracks of videos/training classes for those that want to fast track it.. But it's not "required" that you buy any of that.

Training Costs Money

I'm sorry for you, but it must be said. Training costs money.
    CAD/CAM software is not designed for the general public or beginners. It's a very specialized software tool for highly trained people to do a specific job. Obviously the Bobcad company chooses to charge for their training and that is their right.

As someone else posted, CAD/CAM requires an immense amount of diverse knowledge. Software training videos are designed to show someone familiar with the operations and terminology how to use the tool (program), not to train you from total ignorance to a level where you can effectively use it.

You can buy a copy of the imaging software radiologists use, but the company's training videos aren't going make you a doctor.

That's not to say you shouldn't try, but you admit you are ignorant of the magnitude of what you are undertaking. The Google Sketchup suggestion was a good one. You might also be better off with something like a Roland MDX-15 or MDX-20. Roland has done a very good job of simplifying prototype production for non machinists/engineers.

NB

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbrazil07 View Post
    I'm sorry for you, but it must be said. Training costs money.
    CAD/CAM software is not designed for the general public or beginners. It's a very specialized software tool for highly trained people to do a specific job.

NB
    Sorry Nathan i have to strongly disagree with you. If software was written for only "experts" then every CAM company out there would be closed in less then a year. There are some very easy to learn and use packages out there that are also very powerful. The issue is "for the money". Yes it all comes down to the money. if you pay more you get more. Not functionality but by making more they have the money to work on the interface as well.

"You cant even join their bobcad/cam forums unless you pay . "I am part of Bobs forum,and I did not pay,nor never asked.Anybody out there pay to join??I believe you have some mis-information.I believe you believe what you want to believe.If you will use the info,I will post a bunch of areas where you can gain knowledge.Is that what you want?Or just bashing?Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    "You cant even join their bobcad/cam forums unless you pay . "I am part of Bobs forum,and I did not pay,nor never asked.Anybody out there pay to join??I believe you have some mis-information.I believe you believe what you want to believe.If you will use the info,I will post a bunch of areas where you can gain knowledge.Is that what you want?Or just bashing?Let me know.
    No I wasn't bashing or venting. I really like the look and layout of their GUI but disapprove of their sales tactics. As a newbie, I was just trying to get a better idea of how to operate some basics of their software to see if I would like it. I wasn't trying to get anything for free or damage their reputation. Their business practices caused me to have some legitimate concerns.

Tried to register for their forum and was denied. When I tried to contact support to find out why I was redirected to sales. I was told by sales that the only way to gain access to their forums was to purchase their software.

Did you purchase their software?
    Were you a member of their forum before you purchased their software? If not then you paid to be a member of their forums.
    Never heard of a forum that wasn't free, only requirements were that you sign up and abide by that forums rules. Never heard of a forum that wasnt free, only requirements were that you sign up.

If you have some links where I could get a little more knowledge/info that would be great...ty
    Richard

Training

Sabastian,
    The videos you saw on the web are manufacturers that make parts with our software. As far as support, we offer multiple levels of it for a fee that is lower than anyone else in the industry. Customers that use it when they need it get results. We also offer training videos, seminars and more. So, what is the problem? And by the way, you WERE badmouthing but I'm sure it isn't anything we can't fix. Please just give our support a call and explain the situation and we can try to get you going.
    Thank you.
    CNCdude

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    Sabastian,
    The videos you saw on the web are manufacturers that make parts with our software. As far as support, we offer multiple levels of it for a fee that is lower than anyone else in the industry. Customers that use it when they need it get results. We also offer training videos, seminars and more. So, what is the problem? And by the way, you WERE badmouthing but I'm sure it isn't anything we can't fix. Please just give our support a call and explain the situation and we can try to get you going.
    Thank you.
    CNCdude
    ok...I'll try again for suppurt to see if I can get thru

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    Sabastian,
    Thank you.
    CNCdude
    As far as support, we offer multiple levels of it for a fee that is lower than anyone else in the industry. Customers that use it when they need it get results.
    From website
    BobCAD-CAM | Multi-level CAD-CAM Support, to meet any need and budget
    These services are provided to customers who have a current technical support membership with BobCAD-CAM. Customers with expired technical support memberships will be directed to the Technical support sales department and will be asked to renew their technical support membership before technical assistance is provided.$$$
    Where are you getting this from? I Looked thru website and asked over phone...no multiple levels of support for free. You have to purchase software.

We also offer training videos, seminars and more. So, what is the problem?
    The problem is...Not trying to get upper tier level training for free just trying to find out more about basics for someone that is total newbie like myself so I can play around with demo and learn some of the basics before I make a decision about purchasing. Also have to be a purchasing customer before you can join bob forums...like the 80's Members Only jackets. The problem is that you offer nothing for potential customers that aren't proficient in Cad/ Cam...but I have already stated this before in first post.

And by the way, you WERE badmouthing but I'm sure it isn't anything we can't fix.
    Its not badmouthing when you're stating simple facts that anyone is able to find on the website or by talking to bob people over the phone. I did not call bobcad/cam, bobcrap like others in other cad forums. I don't think bobcad/cam is bad. It just doesn't help newbies like myself want to buy it.

I may buy it eventually, after I learn how to operate the basics. I am attending your free webinars when I can, yes I have that much interest in your software.. I am also using a different cad/cam demo right now because they are at least willing to help me learn the basics of their software to get me to buy it, which I may just because they are helpful and put customers before money. A lot of businesses today don't realize if you go after the customer first they will loyaly get their money time after time and will refer their friends. I am also reading some CNC, cad, cam books (checked out from local library)...a lot cheaper than learning by bobs' method of pay now and decide later after they have my money.

Please just give our support a call and explain the situation and we can try to get you going.
    I did and its all about targeting/helping people that are already very knowledgeable. You are missing a whole "New to cad/cam" demographic customer base.
    let this thread die...if you have any responses please just PM me
    Kindest Regards. Richard