586,121 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hey Gary,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not going to list all the reasons for using CNC as it's a long one but a few reasons follow:

Fingerboard radius is compound, from approx 10" to 12" along its length - I could build a complex routing swing arm mechanism to achieve this but haven't the resources right now...

Neck profiles look simple but actually involve 2 faces that both taper and twist along their length, so possible but not the simplest to achieve otherwise...

Head to neck blend is a complex junction of 3 flat faces meeting a complex curved headstock shape and headstock profile...

Neck to body junction is similar, but I want 2 of the flat faces to sweep cleanly into the sides of the body (this is not evident on the pdf I posted but is where I want to go design-wise)...

Radiused cross sections to body need to be accurate, fit of neck to body too, shape of tuner cut is complex, etc etc etc etc

Plus... I don't have access to machinery or workshop myself at all at the moment at all so am relying on employing the help of someone else to get it to the point I can get my hand tools on it and know the critical elements are true...

And... if it all works out well (I reckon it'll be a corker) I want to be able to get into small batch production and having gone through this process will have the ability to make more much more easily.

Neck will be straight (no angle) on this one, although I have the design incorporating angle in another incarnation. I need to get my hands on the tuner/bridge especially but also all other hardware for a detailed measure up before going down the angled route (everything is currently in transit from all over the world). I'd love to do it but it has other implications especially around bridge and fingerboard height and subtle design / aesthetic considerations, but will remain open to change...

... unless you meant relief as in the slight concave curve to the neck necessary for proper playability? - that will be created by the use of a truss rod. Might also get into carbon fibre reinforcment of the neck, but not in the initial model(s), want to see how they perform.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Jonno

See attached :wave:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sdc12006.jpg  
    Machinists do it with greater precision and less tolerance!

Man, I wish I had my own CNC machine...!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapperjonno View Post
    Hey Gary,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not going to list all the reasons for using CNC as it's a long one but a few reasons follow:

Fingerboard radius is compound, from approx 10" to 12" along its length - I could build a complex routing swing arm mechanism to achieve this but haven't the resources right now...

Neck profiles look simple but actually involve 2 faces that both taper and twist along their length, so possible but not the simplest to achieve otherwise...

Head to neck blend is a complex junction of 3 flat faces meeting a complex curved headstock shape and headstock profile...

Neck to body junction is similar, but I want 2 of the flat faces to sweep cleanly into the sides of the body (this is not evident on the pdf I posted but is where I want to go design-wise)...

Radiused cross sections to body need to be accurate, fit of neck to body too, shape of tuner cut is complex, etc etc etc etc

Plus... I don't have access to machinery or workshop myself at all at the moment at all so am relying on employing the help of someone else to get it to the point I can get my hand tools on it and know the critical elements are true...

And... if it all works out well (I reckon it'll be a corker) I want to be able to get into small batch production and having gone through this process will have the ability to make more much more easily.

Neck will be straight (no angle) on this one, although I have the design incorporating angle in another incarnation. I need to get my hands on the tuner/bridge especially but also all other hardware for a detailed measure up before going down the angled route (everything is currently in transit from all over the world). I'd love to do it but it has other implications especially around bridge and fingerboard height and subtle design / aesthetic considerations, but will remain open to change...

... unless you meant relief as in the slight concave curve to the neck necessary for proper playability? - that will be created by the use of a truss rod. Might also get into carbon fibre reinforcment of the neck, but not in the initial model(s), want to see how they perform.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Jonno
    I was quite interested in the neck profile. Yes I agree that CNC will make it all easier and repeatability is key if you want to do a batch.

A CNC neck will probably be my next project, though I am getting very good at them manually (now done 6).

Anyway, I will watch with interest and provide help if I can. I am a newby at CNC tho.

Update: I was only commenting on the body shape, as I only scrolled down the pdf after I posted and then realised that the neck was so complex. My apologies.

Garry

jonno, do you think shipping from brisbane to nz would be too cost prohibitive

Cheers Gary, maybe you should get in touch with Ash..!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cobb View Post
    jonno, do you think shipping from brisbane to nz would be too cost prohibitive
    Mmm, possibly so. My budget is very tight at this point, and do have someone seriously looking at helping me already over here who understands my situation, is a master at rhino and has a 3 axis machine. What do you have in mind? I can email you another PDF of my 2D CAD file with exactly what I'm after right now if you're interested in looking at costing it for me..?

Cheers,
    Jonno

If you've got someone helping with your stuff, then great, stick with them. If you need help with anything though don't hesitate to ask.

Page 2 of 2 12