586,900 active members*
2,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Possible Purchase Router Kit

Hi Guys,

I have read through the build threads here the past couple days and have a real interest in building myself one of these kits. My biggest question is that XYZ website is very limited in details so what is really included in a kit and of what quality are the components?

As for size I initially requested a quote for a X:36 Y:24 Z:8 inches. Would this machine be heavy enough to mainly cut aluminum?

Any insight you all have would be great.

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert,

Yes the web site needs work and more information. I have just gotten my machine and am working on getting it together. The quality of the parts look great and for the most part heavy duty. I will only be cutting wood but with the correct feed rates I don't know why you could not cut alum....

Will

Robert,
    My machine which from what I understand is representative of the larger machines is fairly heavy duty. They have come up with a different design for the smaller machine which has some really nice features but may not be as rigid. I would suggest that you ensure that know exactly what you are ordering.

They have great potential and I feel they are great value.

Please be prepared that things seem to take a long time to happen with them. They also seem to be rather hit and miss on quality control right now. Both Will and I got the wrong motor mounts. Will's kit was missing pieces.
    Mine has ballscrews with excessive backlash. I understand this has been fixed in Will's unit and I have been promised a solution but it's been almost 2 weeks from my last answer from them which was we are still checking for an answer.

Summer vacation may be the cause of the latest delay but they need to get their act together.

The machine is pretty good, I would suggest that you are going to have to go over every thing and make sure it's adjusted properly. I found the upper rollers on my Z not adjusted and the V rollers not touching the rail. Etc.

Be forewarned. If you have the patience and time go for it.
    Dave

Robert,
    I forgot to offer an opinion on aluminum.
    Are we talking thin sheet or blocks?
    There are two areas to consider.
    What spindle are you getting? Most wood routers were not designed for the axial and radial loads imposed by plunging and cutting aluminum. You can probably find one. Some of the water-cooled Chinese one are not designed for this. I believe some of the Columbo ones are. If you get a chinese spindle get a VFD from a reputable dealer in your local country. I am still fighting some gremlins that are most likely VFD related.

Second issue will be flex in the structure. I don't think it was designed with aluminum cutting in mind. It's not a milling machine.
    Cutting out panels in .125" with several passes with coolant at a sane federate is probably do able if your tolerance are rather relaxed.

I hope this helps.
    Dave

Hi Dave and Will,

Thanks for the info on your experience. I have no problem making mods, doing adjustments, etc just so long as I know that up front.

Yes, I am very concerned about the machine rigidity. I did not know there were two basic designs. What size machines do you have? If I read correctly I think Dave's is a 4x4, no idea on Will's.

Initially aluminum plate 0.125 thick would be the material being made into chips. I do have a Tormach mill so heavy things will still get done there. What I really need is more travel and also the ability to cut thin material much quicker. I want to be able to do engraving as well. For coolant will likely use a Trico micro-drop system or their competitors version of the same on aluminum.

Have not settled on a spindle as of this time. I'll get whatever is needed to be honest. Really need to research the Chinese spindles that folks are talking about. I have a half dozen or so Bosch and PC routers on the shelf so that would likely be used to get a machine up and going.

What kind of ball screws are used in your machines? Are there double nuts for backlash or just over sized balls? Are the bearing blocks dual bearing angular contact?

For the motors still not sure if I would use steppers or AC servos most likely from Automation Direct. I have had good luck with the stuff from them in the past. If steppers are used Gecko drives are my prefered.

How do these linear slides compare to the more typical rail and car style?

Thanks much in advance,
    Robert

Mine is 2x2. But is build on using the Bigger footprint technology.
    Mine has Rack and Pinion on X. The new design in the 2x2 is ball screws on all axis. Mine has big X rails the new small design uses 40x40 square section I recall.

For doing aluminum sheet it should work pretty sweet. I was noticing some flex in my Z. But I found one of the rollers not adjusted properly and have not had a close look again. I guess it will all come down to what tolerance you want to work to.

I am happy with my Chinese Spindle. not the VFD.

Ball screws. Single circuit Rocker. Mine has standard ball nuts. 0.0065" backlash. I understand they are now shipping with selective fit nuts (over sized balls). I have some different balls but waiting (not so patiently) for a fix.

In a small router I am not convinced you need AC servos. Just my opinion.

The V groove bearings used are much cheaper than the rail and carriage style.
    I imagine they will tolerate dust better than the RnC. They come with nice wipers ( or the are supposed to , ask Will) The cleverness is in how the integrate the metal surfaces into the Alum extrusion making it cost effective and simpler than other technologies.

The cutting forces in wood and aluminum sheet are much lower than in Ferrous materials and block of Alum. I think the V groove is well suited for the application. But if someone gave me a complete set of RnC i would build a machine out of it.

It sounds like you are going into this with your eyes open. That what I wanted to make sure you were aware of. I would be very surprised if the sales and after sales experience will be as pleasant as dealing with Tormach based on my interactions with both companies.

If you have any more questions please just ask.
    Dave

Mine is the 4x4

Will

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    Most wood routers were not designed for the axial and radial loads imposed by plunging and cutting aluminum. You can probably find one. Some of the water-cooled Chinese one are not designed for this. I believe some of the Columbo ones are.
    I don't know of any router or spindle manufacturer that makes a router spindle designed for plunging the tool. Even the 10HP spindles on the big machines I use, always recommend ramping into the cut. See here:
    PDS - Cutter Entry Angle for High Speed Router Spindles
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry,
    I thought there were some that would take plunging. Your are the expert.
    That's a good link.
    Dave