586,113 active members*
3,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy BTC 1 not in motion

I have been having a reacouring proplem with my beast stalling in a rapid move or the display showing a err light and will not respond cant give mdi comand's or jog new quirk is after resetting over limit and powerenable I get programble coolent on can't cancle with m5 or m9 . seem's to be in Y axis only at this time started when establishing location in seetup when MDIng back to start of program location 6.00 Y will travle 4.00 aprox. and rebound -y then set overlimit Im long way from decel or limit switch , reset and powerenable and try again and this time it lock's up no responce. before this sometimes on power up no 888 and err light which will not cancle. Most of the time I could clear/reset or power down and come back in thirty or so and start up and be fine. Help!!!!frustrating.

The only thing that lights up the ERR light on a BOSS machine is the ERS board. I believe the BTC-1 has an RRS. This board does communication to the outside world and it has the PROMS with the BOSS (Bridgeport Operating Software System) on it. So if the machine does not have access toits basic operating system, it will not function correctly.

I suggest you make sure all logic voltages are correct. Remove each board and clean it and clean the edge connector with a soft eraser. Make sure it is seated well when reinstalled. Make sure all fans are running.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George have R&Red board's at one time when runing program had WOM on regulated voltages in cpu cabnent and made a small adjustment to one was using a digital and not a analog meter and may want to check this once more notised a drop in voltage at the end of the rapid moves If they wear Long I understand the dig's don't respond as quickley as an analog. Had it runing today for a short time only one freez up and reset OL ok without loosing position. I checked the oil level suspecting that but was just filled, wigeled cord and kicked it for good measure Im going to investagate it's delivery . Run a short program without a hitch but was very cautious of rapid's in the Y axis . When I was done I did a experment with the table centered travel X&Y I moved rapid X or Y independtly with no problem but a combanation move such as Go X3.00Y3.00 it hook's at the end of the move. if the move is less than a 1to1 ratio such as X6.00 Y3.00 it does not fail Could the speed of the rapid be exciding the encoder's reading ability or the board that does the math be defictive. I don't remember It doing this in a arc. Any thought's would be helpful I have also cleand the cable conection's on the servo's and checked for interferance on the limit switches . several mounths ago I had all three servos apart and cleand brushes and comutators replaced some of the tac brushes, it run well after that the Y rapid sound's faster than the X move. My manual shows helical milling but the code shows A 's and R's wich neither one are on the key pad must be a ODT or tellaprinter thing. I also tried -Z in a G2 and that work's but in G79 it's doing the Z then the G79.

The very old BOSS machines would do a rapid without a "dog leg." Then they changed the software so in RAPID, the machine will do a 45 degree move and finish with a straight move in whichever axis there is distance left to go. It is not a fault of the machine nor the control.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It's not a dog leg but more like a rebound or hook ex. X6.00Y6.00 result is X5.895Y5.950 If I do X6.00 Y3.00 it was fine. I think I realy steped in it today while checking board's I tried to reseat a couple of chip's and managed to break a pin of one of the large ones in the RRS. board and a small one in the CPL fell apart when I tried to remove it. Know Im in trouble does any one have any board's left from a retrofit project H E L P !!!! Found a couple of machines for part's but the transportation could be prohibitive . any help or ideas would be helpful. Thank's KLT

RRS Board

Kevin, I'll rebuild your RRS if you like, I can replace the ram if necessary, and burn you a new set of EPROM witch may be your problem. I usually read the ones in question and compare to the corect code. The RRS may be your problem but keep in mind the CPL (control position logic) is my guess with my past experience. There are some obsolete chips on the CPL but I think I still have a few. There are two types of CPL boards some with wire wrap and plug in chips and others built on standard pc boards with soldered in chips. Any way I'll be glad to help , contact me via email, [email protected] Good luck , Jon P.

Making chip's now

:cheers: Thank's jonp your a great help and service to those of us with the older BPT's who need a hand with control problems now to get bobcad talking Boss 7.2 If any one has mated version 18 or 19 to this machine I would like to talk. Thats all for now Thank's again for the help Jon P. Still making chip's My son sweep's Kevin

BTC Comunication

Kevin, I have a Bobcad demo here somewhere, I'll see if I can help you figure it out. Glad to here your making chips, good luck Jon P.