586,033 active members*
3,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Full 12 x 24 plans finished

I started to build the Widgetmaster Midi router and one of the MDF based designs. I did not finish either after I discovered to many things I wanted to improve in each style. This model is the answer to this.

This model uses rails bolted to the sides so they are supported and thk type bearings. Most of it is 1/2" Aluminum plate. I sketched up what I wanted and had my engineer make full prints of the design. This picture of the model was just before it was all done. The spindle mount was based on one of the widgetmaster designs and can mount in the middle or on the right or left of the z axis plate to get closer to the edge of your project if you max out the stock you put on the table. The table top is 12" x 24" and it has a cutting area of about 8" x 20". I just got in a new Haas VF4 mill with hopes of making this router but it looks like all time will be booked before I even get it tooled up.

I used precision ACME 1/2 x 10 tpi to keep costs down vs ball screws. The mounts are nema 23. I hope I can make one of these one day. I have a friend with a single tool cnc mill that I may use to make him and I one each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JIMAssem124[1].jpg  

I made two different z designs. The first (Above picture) uses 1/2" round thompson rail, this one uses the thk type for more support.

This is the thk type Z mounted on a shorter Y version of the same machine. I made the machine longer when I saw how much of the travels I lost with it's thicker design.

The other Z pictured alone is the type with the thompson round rail. I may make up a dozen of these the next time the shop slows down and see if they may sell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JIMAssem1[2].jpg   z axis.jpg  

I made a few of the parts this week on my Bridgeport. I cant get any time on my cnc machines due to high demand of the gun parts that we make.

Here are the two assemblies I have done so far. I need to order the thk rails for the Y frame and I can put it all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x and y frame.JPG   x frame assembled.JPG   y axis frame.JPG  

I added the able today. I still have to make the z and add the side rails. So far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1062.jpg  

Looks great.... are you going to countersink the bolts on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Looks great.... are you going to countersink the bolts on the table?
    Yes, I am going to set the depth on a drill press and do them all at once.

I made the motor mounts for it today on my Haas VF-2. Pictures to be posted tonight. They took about 8 min each.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a Haas handy to do my light work!

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a Haas handy to do my light work!
    So far I have made 50% of this on a Bridgeport (Top, both sides, back of X, bottom of Y, Corner blocks,) the front back and gantry arms were done on a converted cnc knee mill that was missing steps. The motor mounts, for screw mounts for drive screws were made on the VF2. I should have some open time on this or the VF4 next week to make the Z parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mount in VF2.JPG   DSCF1073.jpg   mounts.JPG  

This is a view of the botom, under the table. Note the corner mounting blocks that keep me from having to drill into the ends of th long side bars of the Y frame. This one is only about 20" long but making one 48" long would be done the same way.

These are the rest of the light machines. The big horizontal is in the next bay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screw and corner blocks.JPG   DSCF0960.jpg  

Looks good your moving right along..

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

I just had to ad that this router is being made on a 35 plus year old beat up Bridgeport, a home converted cnc knee mill that was not working well (Since fixed) and one or two parts on a real machine. The metal is mostly scrap, that is why the top has the corrosion and the extra holes in everything. It is being made from untested plans.

It does not represent quality of our products and is just being made to entertain me. See below picture of our true products.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dpms style upper.jpg   DSCF0826.JPG  

I like your products...

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Quote Originally Posted by LouF View Post
    I like your products...

Lou
    NICE STUFF! Hope to be at that point sometime in the future...

I countersunk the holes in the top and drilled/tapped a hole in each corner for the feet. I put bolts in the holes for now to give it the right height but the rubber bottom feet will keep it from moving around when in use.

I mounted the motor mounts also to check for fit.

I am just waiting for the rails from automation overstock to arrrive for the Y.

The parts for the Z are on the left of the machine. I should have it done in a few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1075.jpg  

I got some of the Z axis done today. The main body is one big chunk of aluminum, 4" wide. I used my old beater bridgeport to hack out the middle of it to allow clearence for the screw and drive nut. The nut will be over the bearing blocks and limit their travel, that is why they are not cented on the body. The plate that holds therouter mount will bolt to the bearings and the drive block with the threaded insert. The screw bearings are a press fit into the top and bottom of the Z assembly. Automation overstock finally shipped my rails so I can finish the Y assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z parts.JPG   DSCF1082.jpg  

I got some time on the VF2 after hours this week. I finishd the y axis rail drilling and tapping then mounted them. I cut a fresh set of soft jaws for it so I know the rows of holes are as close as can be to perfect.

I decided to use a big bearing and a small one on the gantry. I already had holes for the two small blocks. I moved the holes down 1" to get 1" more Z height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1138.jpg   DSCF1142.jpg  

I made the rest of the parts for the Z that needed mill time. I took .003" off the face and back of the router mounting plate so it would look better. Now I just have to make the screw and drive block.

It gives me over 4" of travel. The rails are 3.5" on center so the load is spread well and it still gives around 8" X axis travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1158.jpg   DSCF1162.jpg   DSCF1137.jpg  

This is the assembled Z axis sitting on a 3/4" end mill to hold it about where it will go. This machine is starting to get very heavy. There is no play in anything. It feels like it should be really hard to move since it has no play but the screws turn with not much effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1168.jpg   DSCF1166.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    I just had to ad that this router is being made on a 35 plus year old beat up Bridgeport, a home converted cnc knee mill that was not working well (Since fixed) and one or two parts on a real machine. The metal is mostly scrap, that is why the top has the corrosion and the extra holes in everything. It is being made from untested plans.

It does not represent quality of our products and is just being made to entertain me. See below picture of our true products.
    I checked out your web site very impressive I like that replacement for the 10/22 the rail is outstanding...

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    This is the assembled Z axis sitting on a 3/4" end mill to hold it about where it will go. This machine is starting to get very heavy. There is no play in anything. It feels like it should be really hard to move since it has no play but the screws turn with not much effort.
    The machine is coming along looks great it looks very sturdy..

Lou

Page 1 of 2 12