586,060 active members*
4,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Help out a total CNC/Router Newbie choose what to buy!!

Question Help out a total CNC/Router Newbie choose what to buy!!

Hello all, I am looking forward to getting to know some of you!

I've just purchased a used home built CNC router and am getting it all setup, etc.

The biggest issue I'm having right now is getting router bits. It's quite a confusing world if you aren't familiar with it all!!!

I've not cut anything yet...

Here are my questions.

1. Is there a quick tool change system for a router that will make dealing with 1/4" and 1/2" sized bits easy, and repeatably positioned in the router each time? (i.e. not having to re-zero my Z every tool change). I'm looking at using a Bosch 16186 Router. Table size is 25" x 40".

2. My first thoughts as far as what bits I might want/need was to order what shows up as the default in VCarvePro.

End Mills
    End Mill .25 inch
    End Mill .5 inch
    Ball Nose
    Ball Nose .25 inch
    Ball Nose .125 inch
    V-Bits
    V-Bit 60 deg .25 inch
    V-Bit 90 deg .5 inch
    V-Bit 90 deg 1.25 inch

Thoughts, additions?

3. My current choice for software would be Vectric VCarvePro6. I've downloaded the demo and have watched all their tutorial videos. What alternatives would you suggest? I expect I'll be doing mostly signs and perhaps some decorative cabinet doors.

4. If I'm going to be focusing on signs, is there any separate software you would suggest for creating the signs then tool pathing in VCarvePro, and on to Mach3 for cutting?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Question

So, 63 views and not one reply... Have I broken some unsaid rule or something?

There I thought with 63 views someone would be giving you some useful suggestions. Seems more like the viewers might be guys like you and me who are looking for suggestions too.

I don't think there are quick tool change solutions for a Bosch router. Perhaps you can design one and find your own Niche.

From what I've seen out there online most folks looking for quick tool changes would be using professional spindles (even then there's a good chance that you'd have to calibrate your software for the specific depth of the bit in a given tool.)

As far as software goes, looks like you've picked the popular apps people have. The benefit there is that you'll likely find more online support than if you go for something more specialized. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction.