586,114 active members*
3,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Metalworking- / Woodworking Tooling / Manual Machining > Where to buy forming tools for hex allen wrenches shape

Where to buy forming tools for hex allen wrenches shape

i've looking for the tooling to form the hex shape of an allen wrench to be formed on the head of my screw... any idea where I can buy those?:violin:
    :banana:

Are you asking for a rotary broach?
    http://www.slatertools.com/

I was actually thinking of some sort of die to be set on an arbor press ..... however I never saw anything like that website you just recommended me

If you're doing this in low low quantities, or need some one-off parts, I recall Model Engine Builder has a how-to article on making the broach in issue #23. The article shows one using a hex key as the actual cutting tool once it has been slightly upset to cut the correct geometry.

Here's a link to issue #23's table of contents:
    Model Engine Builder Magazine. Model IC engines. Clubs, Events, News, New models, Chat. Model Engine Building Enthusiast

thanks for the info!.
    I actually plan this for large runs of parts.
    Can this rotary broaches be adapted to an arbor press and used without the rotating action?

No, rotary broaches have to spin to get the sheering action at the same speed as the peice to be cut. They are normally used on CNC lathes when screws etc are being blanked out.

Hi, you'll need to do a bit of serious toolmaking to make a "nest" to hold the part firmly so that you can present it to the tool before you plunge the tool into the part.

Unless you are familiar with press tooling, hardening and toolsteels, don't bother to DIY, but get a quote from a toolmaker to do a simple tool set to work in an arbor or fly press for short run work.

The toolmaker will advise you on the requirements to produce a hex cavity in a blind hole, so's he can design and make a tool for your needs.

At any rate the cavity will have to be either undercut to clear the waste material from the tool or drilled deeper to allow the croppings to compact at the bottom of the hole....the swarf has to go somewhere, and in most cases it just gets compacted at the bottom.

You didn't state the material to be broached or the size of the hex, and anything approaching 1/2" AF and 1/2" deep in tough steel will take a fair amount of tonnage, about 5 ton, to plunge down into.....you might need a hydraulic press for a batch of 500 or so, otherwise the fly press would become a "widowmaker" after a short while.
    Ian.