586,096 active members*
3,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Transporting a Bridgeport Mill in a Jeep Wrangler
Page 2 of 2 12
    Well this thread has gone pretty far and its great all the knowledge and jokes that I’ve gotten from it. But the sad side of the story was I couldn’t afford the mill in the end, so I didn’t get it.

But I did learn a lot about moving mills

Well then you should have let the rest of us know about the machine, price and location.

May be a day late and a few dollars short (nuts) , but for a standard J-head (not what you 'had' anyway (nuts) ) the weights are:

Head 200#
    Ram Adapter 90#
    Ram 218#
    Turret 214#
    Column 715#
    Knee 257#
    Saddle 142#
    48" Table 365#
    Total 2101#

This information came from: http://frugalmachinist.com/bp1j.html

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Thanks for the numbers. I don’t really feel too bad about losing this mill because I just decided that it was in my best interest to hold off for now on such a huge investment. At least for the moment.

Holding out can pay off. I spent aver 8 months contemplating, then I went on a blind bidding frenzy on E-bay for several weeks. I won a mill for under $1200. I budgeted several grand and thought - what the heck - if I win it, I will spend maybe a grand or two refurbishing it and I will end up on the positive side as the machine will then be essentially new. The machine was in such pristine mechanical condition that I only spent about $800.00 and ended up with a better machine than I expected. The majority of the cash was spent on the head and feed mechanism - the ways blued out and measured well enough that I felt spending the $$ and money to get them perfect was just not justifyable.

Patience can pay off. Here's a link to my build if you care to look: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10535

Still in work, other priorities right now but it should resume within a month or two (I said the same thing a month or two ago - it's killing me...). The controller is done, tested and collecting dust waiting for the mechanicals - and I am a ME. Imagine that.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Take it apart - two trips?

The table comes off pretty easy. But I'd estimate it at 300 - 400 lbs. You'll need the engine hoist.

If you have the engine hoist you should be able to get the head off easy too. Once there the ram should be no problem. Then lower the knee to get the center of gravity down. Now you've got three good size chunks and the base of the machine. Two trips should do it after that. No?

I live in the L.A. area and I had mine moved for $250.00. Not even worth talking about for that rate.

BTW - Love that lawn tractor pic! <LOL> That's a keeper.

Page 2 of 2 12