586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Not happy with Grizzly South Bend Drill Press Vise

Not happy with Grizzly South Bend Drill Press Vise

Thought a 4" drill press vise would be a useful clamping system for occasional use on my small router. Bought a South Bend “precision” drill press vise from Grizzly expecting at least moderate quality as described in their catalogs and web pages (Grizzly describes "precision ground and hand scraped" ways!). Instead got a POS made in China with typical cheap Chinese fit and finish. As an egregious example, one way is .74" wide and the other is .88" wide!

I know you shouldn't post when you’re angry but I can’t stop myself.

Anyone have recommendations for a good small drill press vise?

We all hate it when we crash a tool into our nice vice !
    Use it as you can as a beater and keep looking for a nice one for when it counts. As for most of that stuff, take a good look then drive over to harber fright and see if you can find the same thing. Most of the time "There It is" and so on. The vise might well end up being a favorite as you most likely won't give a damned when it gets cut or drilled.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Thought a 4" drill press vise would be a useful clamping system for occasional use on my small router. Bought a South Bend “precision” drill press vise from Grizzly expecting at least moderate quality as described in their catalogs and web pages (Grizzly describes "precision ground and hand scraped" ways!). Instead got a POS made in China with typical cheap Chinese fit and finish. As an egregious example, one way is .74" wide and the other is .88" wide!

I know you shouldn't post when you’re angry but I can’t stop myself.

Anyone have recommendations for a good small drill press vise?
    I think at $220 the 4" vise from Glacern looks like a great deal...

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I think at $220 the 4" vise from Glacern looks like a great deal...
    I've heard great things about the Glacern vise but it weighs too much and is too tall for my planned use on my small router. Looking for a decent quality drill press vise.

BTW I got the idea to use a drill press vise from looking at MicroCarve's very interesting thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html

I've heard great things about the Glacern vise but it weighs too much and is too tall for my planned use on my small router. Looking for a decent quality drill press vise.

BTW I got the idea to use a drill press vise from looking at MicroCarve's very interesting thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html
    I got the latest Enco catalog and they have a few, though I don't know if their low-end one is similar to yours...

Mine's just a real cheapo from Home Depot...IIRC....

It was a wobbly mess that I had to machine as flat as I could get
    it. That wasn't easy due to the quality of whatever old bed rails they
    melted down to make it.

I'd have sure thought the Grizzly would had been a Great vise to
    use. Especially so with the "South Bend" brand on it. And the pictures
    ...And description.

Apparently there's a town in China named "South Bend".

If the Glacern is too tall, then this one probably is too, but I have one (or something similar - I bought it several years ago) and have liked it:
    Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

I have one of these at work (or something very similar):
    I can't say I'm very impressed with it. I think the jaws are ground, but the fit doesn't feel very good. I think this is how most cheap drill press vise are though.

Here's a Wilton that looks nice, but it's $250:

I just looked at the Southbend at Grizzly, and it does look like hand scraped ways in the first two pics. That seems crazy for $50...
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    I just looked at the Southbend at Grizzly, and it does look like hand scraped ways in the first two pics. That seems crazy for $50...
    You're right! I should have known that I couldn't get "a precision vise with hand scraped rails" for $50!

I see that Woodcraft carries a "made in USA" York vise for $140. I'm going to a nearby Woodcraft tomorrow for some other stuff. Hopefully they'll have the vise in stock so I can look at it.

My local Woodcraft has no drill press vises in stock. They would be happy to order the Yost vise for me. However, this vise on Amazon looks good: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-12352-Drill-Press-3-5-Inch/dp/B00068U7P4/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1313299571&sr=1-14"]Amazon.com: Palmgren 12352 DP35 Drill Press Vise, 3.5-Inch: Home Improvement[/ame]

Anyone have any experience with this vise?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Palmgren 12352 drill press vise 3 one half inch.jpg  

The one that Microcarve has is a Harbor Freight variant. I've seen it sold at different places, just with different paint jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if the same factory in China makes them all.

Harbor Freight 4" Drill Press Vise

It is sold at Lowes under the Bessey name brand for $5 more.

Smile

My local Woodcraft has no drill press vises in stock. They would be happy to order the Yost vise for me. However, this vise on Amazon looks good: Amazon.com: Palmgren 12352 DP35 Drill Press Vise, 3.5-Inch: Home Improvement

Anyone have any experience with this vise?
    Judging from the photo, it LOOKS like the exact 6" vise I am using on my drill press (mounted to a milling table). I have several smaller vises I use on my CNC router table, of the cheap chinese variety. However, my favorite has the name "Record" cast into the body- not sure of where it came from, but it is a massive casting which compares to a milling vise. I did modify it, however, by replacing the thin plate it uses to slide along the bottom side with a thicker piece of plate steel so that the movable jaw does not rock as it travels along the slide casting. I have learned, that almost ANY vise which uses a screw as the movable jaw-advancing mechanism tends to have a tighter grip on one side, than the other. The vise styles which utilize a straight-slide push handle, with a cam-lock lever yield a more equal grip on both sides of the jaws. You just need to hire a gorilla to operate the straight-slide push handle!

Bought a Yost vise from WoodCraft

Finally bought a drill press vise. Got a Yost 6D from WoodCraft for $200. It just arrived today but seems really well made and much better than the Grizzly vise that I returned. Wish I bought the Yost a long time ago.

Here's a link:
    Buy Yost General Purpose Drill Press Vise Model 6D at Woodcraft

Couldn't find this post... but I purchased two Dayton drill press vises on eBay, a 6" one for about $75 or so and a 4" one with quick release for $39. They are imports but very well made...

+1 on the Glacern. It's pretty well-made stuff.

"Southbend"=Grizzly=Harbor Freight=Enco=Travers
    Same factory in Shanghai, Same workers living in the factory.
    South Bend Heavy 10L, Burke #4, Van Norman #12, South Drill Bend Press
    A home machinist site you might like: www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Not happy with Grizzly South Bend Drill Press Vise

The GMT vises seem nicer than some of the Kurt vises I think. My father bought the south bend rotary table from grizzly, it is actually a very nice, low backlash, smooth table. I guess some of there stuff is garbage, some good.

I just bought this 4" swiveling machine vise off eBay. It was supposed to be used and slightly damaged and I won the auction at $36. However, what I got was brand new and in original styrofoam box. I am am not going to complain that it does not meet the description

It weighs probably 20 pounds and therefore shipping from Florida was another 51 bucks. It looks well made and solid but obviously from China, too. It is 5" tall but my machine is big enough. Without the swivel base it would be about 3.5" but for now I am going to keep the base. Obviously I milled into the jaws the second time I used it.

i have one that came with my harbprfreigth mill.. the round column mill..

i ahd to mill sligthly so it is paraleel now.. its only 3 1/2 inch wide but works better than regular drill press vises..

on ebay sold from 50-170... it also can be used as angle vise... the chromed part on the side dont looking really stiff.. but i just used itself this vise.. without the base..

it can be clamped on its side so you can put into vertically aligned workpieces

New Hit Brand Angle Drill Press Vise 3 1 2" Capacity | eBay

jerry
    i have that type vise too... i purchased a 5" wide.. thats a good stuff.. i think some 70 dollar or so..
    works very well.. a real machinist vise..