586,111 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Buying a computer for a plasma cnc. need some advice!

Buying a computer for a plasma cnc. need some advice!

I recently decided that I will be either building or buying a cnc machine, however I need to buy a computer in the next week. I am curious if there is anything I should ensure the computer has so that it will be flexible and work with the most number of cnc machines. I would hate to limit my options because the computer I bought doesn't have the ports needed for some machines, or worse yet, have to buy another computer all together!

I am hoping a laptop will do. I have cds for both linux and windows xp, so I don't think the os will be a problem. So, what should I look for when buying a computer that will someday be used to control a plasma cnc machine?

Figure which system you will use, ask them what the requirements are. You might need some special ports and/or adapters.

I just bought a kit from CandCnc and it comes with a bundled computer that has all the software loaded and been hooked up to our system and tested. Can't beat it.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I don't know what system I will be getting, and do not have enough time to figure it out before I must get a computer. That is why I posted. Thanks for the info on your system though. That is helpful.

What, in general, should I be looking for in a computer?

As a general rule I never use laptops for PC CNC control, they are not usually referenced to earth ground for one.
    Also, depending on whose system you get you might need card slots.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Depends, are you going to be using the computer for 3d cad work also or just for running the programming?

Cad
    High end system with 8gig ram and a good video card

Running the machine
    A basic I3 computer with 2-4gig of ram would be more than enough. I've been finding new ones for 200-300 dollars.

Thanks so much for the helpful responses!

I wont be doing 3d CAD, only 2d. Is a desktop really required for the additional card slots? Is there anyway a laptop could be used?

I would hate to have to drag a desktop between the garage and the house every time I want to cnc something.

I don't know of any laptops that have expansion slots.
    But also earth grounding and bonding to the PC is especially important, especially with a Plasma system which can be only done successfully with a desktop or tower.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You are getting the cart before the horse. You need to decide what type of control and table you will build before buying a computer has any meaning, In most circumstances it's better to treat the PC that runs the CNC machine as a dedicated controller. Use it only to run the machine. For MACH based systems a pentium 4 with a 2.4G or better processor, 512M or more of RAM (more than 1G is a waste) and running XP. Having motherboard ports (parallel and serial) are a positive thing. There are hundreds of "refurbished" PC's out there that will meet that criteria and cost less than 200 bucks (often MUCH less).

It does depend on what control and what control software you plan on using.

Before you ask: If you plan on doing Plasma you should plan on a THC, If you don't want to spend thousands on a "stand-alone" THC then using the inherent THC logic in MACH is the answer. What that means is that you have to run MACH in parallel port diver mode so the USB approach is out.

The final thought is this: A plasma cutting shop is no place for a laptop. It's like buying fine china for the Burger Doodle down the street.

Run your drawing and CAM program on your laptop and use Ethernet or memory sticks to move the cut files from the design computer out to your table.

Back everything up.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shefron View Post
    Depends, are you going to be using the computer for 3d cad work also or just for running the programming?

Cad
    High end system with 8gig ram and a good video card

Running the machine
    A basic I3 computer with 2-4gig of ram would be more than enough. I've been finding new ones for 200-300 dollars.
    Staples has some excellent Quad core HP desktops for $400-600. You would have to downgrade the Windows 7 64 bit to a 32 bit operatiing system for Mach 3 if you went that route. Also you may have to add additional ports(not a big deal).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    You are getting the cart before the horse. You need to decide what type of control and table you will build before buying a computer has any meaning, In most circumstances it's better to treat the PC that runs the CNC machine as a dedicated controller. Use it only to run the machine. For MACH based systems a pentium 4 with a 2.4G or better processor, 512M or more of RAM (more than 1G is a waste) and running XP. Having motherboard ports (parallel and serial) are a positive thing. There are hundreds of "refurbished" PC's out there that will meet that criteria and cost less than 200 bucks (often MUCH less).

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    I agree with Tom, a refurbished computer these days are everywhere, they are very powerful and most have warrantys... I bought a newer compaq hp desktop for $480 and wish I would have bought a refurb. Besides saving a few dollars it has worked great for mach 3, Acad 2010, sheetcam... It is a pentium 4, 2.8G, 1G ram, external g-force video card 256 7200rpm, PCI expansion card (25 pin, 9 pin) windows xp... It works excellent for not only mach 3 and candcnc stuff but also runs Acad 3-D very well... Try something similar to this.. You may have some problems when installing large software like corel or autocad because it will conflict with your PCI card.. You will have to take out the motherboard battery to reset and usually this will fix things.

I just bought 3 Refurbed Dell's 2.8 to 3GB; 1G Ram (plenty for just MACH), built in parallel & serial, and the video on those machines has it's own RAM so it works good with MACH. Total amount for all three computers was less than $200.00. They come with XP and a 90 day warranty. I picked up some used LCD's (2 17" and 1 19") for 29.00 and 39.00 respectively. These level machines are showing up everywhere and the prices have dropped by about 50% in the last 6 months.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I run my machine with an $80 craigslist dell. And an old crt monitor I have. no internet or networking to the cnc computer. 2.4 processor 512 ram on board video running mach 3 and Sheet cam. All files and cad work come from my i7 8 gig laptop or the office desktop via a jump drive.