586,105 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > multiple parts from the same stock- CAD or CAM?

multiple parts from the same stock- CAD or CAM?

I have been using SW08 to design for a while- no pro but I have stumbled through parts successfully so far. I now have access to MCforSW and my literature won't arrive for a few says.

I have a part designed in SW that I want to cut 6 of side by side from the same stock (x2 routes, 12 total on the fixture). each part is 4 sided but opposite sides are identical- so I need 2 different processes

I have no idea how to do this.

do I need to re design the part in the final cnc version (6 wide with the "tab" core in between left to hold them together?) or is there a "part" linear pattern feature in MC?)

do I just create new ops for the second side with new geometry origin? then cut and paste all ops to crate the last two sides?

not firing on all 8 tonight.

linear copy created my final cnc part easily. now I will try to figure out how to create the separate face ops

You are on the right track,
    Try investigating the use of "Transform" of the toolpaths, not the geometry

you can transform linear or even rotate without having to duplicate & re-pick the geometry or the operations

thank you.

funny... in almost all of the threads I found that answered my questions last night you were the one answering too

Did you find any posts on this topic by DonkeyHotey? He had a description about using Mastercam for doing multiple parts each with it's own location. As I recall you can do it part by part using all tools to complete the part before moving to the next, or tool by tool where you use the tool on each part before changing to the next tool.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

thank you for replying; I did not see any but will continue to search.

I like that there are options available. in this case I want 2 pieces of 11" stock on a fixture plate and run each tool on all 12 parts them change to the next tool etc, them flip and repeat, then switch to the next program to chamfer the sides and it should be done.

still working out how to do the fixturing. I'm thinking 8"x12"x.75" al plate with some rails screwed on and machined for paralleling, then hold the stock against them with mitee bites. my head hurts... but these are good problems to have