586,082 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Machining only one 3D surface?

Machining only one 3D surface?

Hello All,

I have V23 and want to know if there is a way to machine just one surface of a model and have the ball mill go right to the edge of that surface. Basically having the surface normal go directly to the center of the ball mill.

I used to do this in Mastercam, but I can't figure this out in BC.

Thanks in advance,
    Pat

Can you post a sample surface to look at? Set a feature in it.

Hello Burrman,

Attached (hopefully) is a Bobcad file. That radius is 1". If you can see the toolpath, you can see that the end of the toolpaths near the angled surface don't go far enough so that they cut the complete radius. I just selected that radius surface and generated a toolpath without a boundry. Maybe the BC version I have has limited capabilities or there is another method.

Thanks for any help you offer,
    Pat

Well, I see that my file didn't get sent. Let's try it again. I just noticed it won't take bobcad files so I need to send a jpeg or ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK, PDF sent. That is a 1" radius, .375 dia. ball mill and tool tip toolpath. That toolpath needs to go quite a ways past the end of the radius for the ball mill to fully cut the radius surface.

Hi pat,
    Here I extracted that surfaces edges and projected them up to a flat plane to use as a boundry... Then I extended that lower part of the boundry to allow the tool to continue down some amount. I selected the lower surface too so the tool would go..

I cant tell you how far to extend the boundry to allow the tool to only go down the exact amount it needs.. Maybe someone else can tell how to give that number.. I just extended it a bit..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball_rollover.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	140284

If you ever want to attach a bbcd file, right clcik it and select "send to-Compressed zip folder".. The forum will allow zipped files to attach.

Here's a video that shows a quick one of what i meant:

Extending the extents of a Ballmill - YouTube

Half the radius, lol.

Thanks Burrman for the info and the file compression tip!

I figured that what you described would be how you would have to do it and I appreciate the concept. In Mastercam you could just pick any surface and it would cut to the edge of that surface without doing boundries. I need to practice using boundries more.

Thanks again,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patdttr225 View Post
    In Mastercam you could just pick any surface and it would cut to the edge of that surface without doing boundries. I need to practice using boundries more.

Thanks again,
    Pat
    That would be a cool option in the feature... They will have a far larger selection of options for handling the tooling... Since they already have full 4th and fifth axis, they have the ability to do tool offset comps in 3d space...

You'll have to jump through some hoops in BobCad to do what Mastercam can do...

Burrman,

That video was great and exactly the shape I used for my example! I really need to check out all that guys videos. I have only been searching on Bobcad and this guy has good stuff.

Pat

Pat, I think "that guy" (MrBobhuh) is BurrMan! His examples and advice on the forums have helped us all out immeasurably. I'm a pretty experienced BCC user and I learn something new every time.

Steve

Yeah, I just made that for pat...

Thanks Steve.