586,114 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

253 ELECTRONICS OVERHEAT

Hey all,

I have been getting this alarm since I bought the machine, a 1996 VF-2. It is not hot in the cabinet, in fact it happens often when the machine is cold. Ya, it does get cold/cool in S. Florida sometimes, a couple of freezes this year.

I researched it some and found that the sensor is located on the main board. It has obviously failed and I might get 50 in one day or zero depending on how the machine feels. May go for weeks then get a bunch in one day.

Mainly affects during jogging or single blocking a program. Can cause weird problems like still being able to jog, but not change axises, which can be a problem when say switching from going down in Z then changing to X and not having it happen.

Someone advised me to check the power supply, but I can't find anything major wrong with it. Checked at 5.01v and 11.95v., but I can't check while running.

I need to find out how to disable this warning, so that it does not throw an alarm.

253 ELECTRONICS OVERHEAT - The control box temperature has exceeded 140° F (60° C). This can be caused by an electronics problem, high room temperature, or clogged air filter.

I would appreciate your assistance.

Cheers,

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I'm pretty sure that there is not a parameter to alter the temperature at which the alarm occurs. However - depending on the age of your machine - a software upgrade may be possible to correct the problem. What software does your machine have?
    If you turn the machine on, the software version should be displayed under the Haas logo. It could start with a seven or an eight or a nine. For it to be upgradeable it needs to start with a nine.

Hope this helps

It was last updated in Jan 24th, 2000 to 9.63N. Also says MOCON 6.07

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Electronics overheat alarm

You can't fix this with software.
    If the sensor is broken, there is no software that fixes that.
    If the sensor is working, you would not get the message when it's not hot.
    There is a display of the temperature in Diagnostic data.
    If the displayed value doesn't match actual, the sensor is not working.

overheat alarm

But...
    You can disable this check and the alarm with bit 12 of parameter 278.
    The name is "uP ENCLOSURE TEMP".
    Set the parameter to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzard of H View Post
    But...
    You can disable this check and the alarm with bit 12 of parameter 278.
    The name is "uP ENCLOSURE TEMP".
    Set the parameter to 0.

Bingo!

Looked everywhere, but didn't find it. Now it should be OK. This has caused broken tools and other problems in the past. I owe you a case of beer!

This machine was poorly taken care of. I had to chisel the vices out of it when I got it and spend two days trying to clean out the slots with chisels etc. But now everything works fine. I only paid 12 grand for it and I know you get what you pay for, but now it's great. Beside, I like working on them!

Thanks again----Mike