586,535 active members*
2,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

picking servo

hi I am having some trouble deciphering the information on the side of some servos I am looking at
    I am sure some one here can help

some say tc lb-in 40

another says continuous torque is 400 in-oz

so if it says 40 lb-in is that X 12 to get inch oz of 480

or is it another way of saying the same thing and 40 is 40
    thanks

You almost got it...

40 in-lb * (16 oz/lb) = 640 in-oz

not sure about the "tc", but would presume it refers to continuous torque rating.

Whatcha building? I'm new here, so I may not have caught on to your project if you've discussed it in an earlier thread.

Chad

thanks for your help really

I cant show you mutch at this point I just have a bunch of parts I started somthing a couple times
    but am now back to the drawing board for the third time
    there is some things I would have done diffrently at this point
    but I think it will all work out

once I get somthing together again I will send you a link

eat,

Not expecting pictures or anything, just curious what you're building.

I'm just getting started helping my brother build a CNC router. He's an electrical engineer and I'm a little more mechanical minded. We decided to go the servo motor route, and are playing around with the motors right now. I just ordered some Yaskawa Minertia servo motors off ebay to play around with. I'm intending to use them for a small two-axis positioning table I built a couple years ago that had some REALLY low-torque gearmotors with a single channel encoder (like on the order of 5-10 in-oz IIRC). The 3 minertia motors have lots more torque (15, 30, and 50 in-oz., respectively), and feature the more common quadrature encoders that actually have 3 channels (The regular two channels with pulses 90 degrees out of phase, then a third channel that outputs a pulse once per rev). This may be common, I'm just not particularly familiar with encoders.

For the router, we'll probably go with either the rutex or gecko drives. For the positioning table (which is intended just for fun at this point), I'd like to program a PIC microcontroller with some PID algorithms (long project) and a home-built DRO. Last time I programmed a PIC, it was during a time crunch and I couldn't get them to do what I wanted, so I want to conquer that "fear" that I have.

Trying to get a mill and lathe together so we can make the necessary brackets for both of these projects. Fun stuff, just all takes time.

Chad

eat,

got your PM and saw the pictures. Looks good, but I'm still confused as I didn't see a description of what this thing will do. What is the contraption that you're building, or what is it intended to do? Two lathe beds eh? I'll bet it was a project to level them relative to each other. My gut instinct tells me your building a cnc router using the two lathe beds to obtain a higher level of rigidity than would normally obtained with the steel tubing more commonly used. Looks like you've got a lot of work in it so far, and yet still quite a bit more to do. I respect all you folks who spend time doing that kind of stuff rather than vegetating in front of the TV.

Chad