586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Lathe > what kind of bearing configuration they use in EMCO lathe headstock

what kind of bearing configuration they use in EMCO lathe headstock

Emco lathes are the best small scale cnc lathes i have ever seen (rest all is conversion and personal projects). I am curious to know that do they deliver the same surface finish as the okuma or hass or BP series lathes do?
    And what kind of spindle bearing configurations they use in the emco lathes if the answer is close to yes.
    (a very old question in my mind)
    jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

i am surprised

i am surprised to see that 49 views but no comments on my question. :drowning:

Hello, you must develop your question about the spindle bearings. Do you think of any particular machine. I have the Emco 120 pc turn.
    I have also discovered that people would rather read than write in this forum, why?

surface finish

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_swe View Post
    Hello, you must develop your question about the spindle bearings. Do you think of any particular machine. I have the Emco 120 pc turn.
    I have also discovered that people would rather read than write in this forum, why?
    hello cnc_swe,
    i want to know what kind of bearings they use in spindles of emco lathe. are they tapered roller bearing? or angular contact bearings. Do they use just two bearings back to back or a four or six bearings setup as being used in commercial turning centers?
    The reason because of what i want to know about it has a long history. I built a lathe (5x9) a year before using lm guides, ballscrews and steppers etc. I am getting very good speed and tolerances from it but the one thing bugging me from the start is still there and that is the surface finish. It is better than before but i am getting rings on the turned parts using carbides. I have tried different rpms and feed rates but no luck. i have two skf tapered roller bearings and 5inch true chuck on my lathe.
    I just want to know that do the emco pc turn (specially small lathes) lathes deliver same quality finish as the commercial turning centers or not. (may be a survey can help me finding the reason for the rings on the turned parts i am getting)

jasminder singh

jasminder

Your SKF bearings should be great, as long as they are ajusted correctly, The Emco of the size you are using has Taper roller bearings, the PC 120 & even the larger machines like 140 345 Etc have Taper roller bearings, The smaller machines just have a deep grove Ball Bearing
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    jasminder

Your SKF bearings should be great, as long as they are ajusted correctly, The Emco of the size you are using has Taper roller bearings, the PC 120 & even the larger machines like 140 345 Etc have Taper roller bearings, The smaller machines just have a deep grove Ball Bearing
    dear mactec,
    I a not sure about the tolerances of the bearing bores of my headstock because i got it done from the market for 20$. But they seems to be fine to me.
    Now i am trying to put a ball bearing before the first taper roller bearing of my spindle (near the chuck) i guess it will give it more strength to fight the radial play. Trust me i have a very strong feeling of a better surface finish this time (but i am afraid that i am wrong this time too). if this 3 bearing setup doesnot works i may need to recast the head stock that means more $$$$$$$.
    wish me a luck,
    jasminder singh

When adjusting the layer, adjust and test drive for 15 minutes to see if the heat at the top again 50 degrees. If not, adjust harder until you are at the highest speed during this time. If you want to be extra careful you can get down to 0.002mm, but then you should run full speed for 60 minutes to know that you are not attracted / adjusted to hard. This is SKF's recommended retirement.

Re: what kind of bearing configuration they use in EMCO lathe headstock

Hi Jasminder!
    do you still have your emco lathe? Please post pictures of your bearing mod. I have pcturn55 lathe. Rear bearings are worn so I try to change - not easy. Bearings are SKF deep groove front and rear. Over time with little tailstock use this configuration is not good. Headstock is also rather flimsy - now I think to make new headstock with different bearing, spindle configuration...

cheers,
    john

Re: what kind of bearing configuration they use in EMCO lathe headstock

Quote Originally Posted by jasminder View Post
    dear mactec,
    I a not sure about the tolerances of the bearing bores of my headstock because i got it done from the market for 20$. But they seems to be fine to me.
    Now i am trying to put a ball bearing before the first taper roller bearing of my spindle (near the chuck) i guess it will give it more strength to fight the radial play. Trust me i have a very strong feeling of a better surface finish this time (but i am afraid that i am wrong this time too). if this 3 bearing setup does not works i may need to recast the head stock that means more $$$$$$$.
    wish me a luck,
    jasminder singh
    The ball bearing would serve no purpose, if you are using 2 Taper Roller Bearing, if you have already machined the housing to do this, you could always make a spacer to take the place of the ball bearing, it will not work very well with the Ball Bearing behind the first Taper roller Bearing
    Mactec54