586,313 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 9 6789
    Dave,
    I've been in the machining trade for over 30 years, am not easily impressed.
    That is one outstanding example of craftsmanship.
    Exceptional job!
    i_r_machinist

Thanks.

No updates on the new table. Been to busy with work. I did get a cool addition to the old tables. We have been using table with a clamped together torch. Have crashed it a few time so thought it was time for a snap-n-cut breakaway torch holder. Very simple to install. Drill 2 holes 40mm apart and tap and its ready to go. I have a few pics and short vid of it in action.
    20130114 175901 - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130114_170154.jpg   20130114_171911.jpg   20130114_172835.jpg   20130114_180002.jpg  

Thanks Dave....certainly looks good fitted up.
    Nice knowing the torch is protected and, also makes for easy consumable changes.

Z axis question

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    thanks dustin and Boogiemanz. I only changed a few things on theses tables. The table is 5x10 the old table was 4x10. The gantry is also 3 inches higher.I want to use a 4th axis for notching tubing on these tables. I still have to machine a few more pieces and am waiting on the water trays. Here are a few pics of the progress.
    First of all what an impressive build. many ideas i would like to appropriate
    I have tried to go to the link for your other build but I think the link is broken.

My question is what are you using for the Z axis slide I have read all the way through the thread and did not see it maybe I just missed it

Thank You
    archie =) =) =)

The z axis is made by k2cnc

Z axis question

what is the travel on the slide.

Thank you
    archie =) =) =)

they are 12 in travel

Z axis

Thank You

archie =) =) =)

Hi Dave,

Looking at how this all came together is making me want to build one myself. I was wondering why you chose to build the whole thing out of steel instead of something like 80/20 tubing. it seems like a gantry out of aluminum would weigh less and accelerate faster. Are there advantages to the steel that I'm missing here?

Also am I correct that you are using the 620 steppers from CandCNC to run this table?

thanks,
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon byler View Post
    Hi Dave,

Looking at how this all came together is making me want to build one myself. I was wondering why you chose to build the whole thing out of steel instead of something like 80/20 tubing. it seems like a gantry out of aluminum would weigh less and accelerate faster. Are there advantages to the steel that I'm missing here?

Also am I correct that you are using the 620 steppers from CandCNC to run this table?

thanks,
    jon
    Why would you pay more money for a less superior frame if you can weld as good as he can I'm sure his acceleration and speeds are already faster than the required real world needs.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Why would you pay more money for a less superior frame if you can weld as good as he can
    that was the question: is steel superior to aluminum? if so, why? steel costs money. Welding costs time, which is essentially money, regardless of whether one is in business or not. I can weld too, but sometimes it's not the most cost effective solution, nor the best. I'm not trying to disparage him for the choices he made in building what looks like a mighty fine piece of equipment, rather I'm trying to suss out why he made the choices he did. Hopefully this info will help me make good choices as I proceed with buying or building a table.

gantry....

I am working through the same process. all in all steel is heavier in mass than aluminum. I would think thin gauge steel of the same outside dimensions is lighter than 8020 and easier to weld. also the aluminum expands and contracts more with changes in temperature wondering if we should duke this out on a different thread.....

Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

starting on a 5X10 plasma table soon

Gentlemen,
    There were a few reasons why i chose steel over alum. The first is i want to be able to use the table for routing, and I didn't think the alum frame would be stout enough. The second was the water in the table weights some where around 900 pounds.I am using the 620 oz motors and i have all the speed i need for plasma and torque for routing. I can cut at 700 ipm reliably so that's plenty fast. If you are only using plasma the alum frame would be fine. The other advantage of the 80-20 is you can use direct drive. I think how you build your table depends on what and how hard you plan to use it.
    Dave

with direct drive, do you mean not gearing the motors down to give them extra torque to move the heavy steel gantry?

Thanks for the reply!

with the lighter gantry you dont need the gear reduction.

Great build, very high quality.

I painted my table & tank, it failed almost instantly.

How does the powder coating hold up in the water table?

Can you post detailed/ measurement info on your tables?

Thanks,
    Eric

Dave,

I keep coming back and looking at your work... So much time and effort, just GREAT..

I'm doing a upgrade on my machine and changing over to the floating head design. Most builds seem to use a "mini" liner rail for the floating torch. You do not and that keeps to torch close to the z axis.

What seperates the 3/8 aluminum plate from the z axis that allows it to slide. I can see two slotted holes and allen bolts that may hold it on, but there is a space. What makes the bearing surface between the pieces?

What keeps the friction down?

I want to say I've seen the answer some where, maybe not on this post, but I just can't seem to put my finger on it...

Thanks for the help.

Aj

Dave, Just about fell out the chair.... I just figured it out. Talk to you later..

Aj

The powdercoat still looks like new.
    Havnt seen the bottom of the table in a while it needs cleaning.
    No prob AJ. Struggling with this new forum layout. I dont like change
    Dave

Page 8 of 9 6789