586,069 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Is a 8 arc minute Gearbox tight enough for Plasma/oxy?

Is a 8 arc minute Gearbox tight enough for Plasma/oxy?

My current system is between 3 and 6 arc minutes (apex, nema 23), I can't really detect/feel any backlash in them. I am looking at some nema 34 boxes that have 8 arc minutes. Any ideas???

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

wss-
    i sent you a p.m.

steve

Steve, sent you a PM too.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Tommy if my understanding of "arc minute" is correct, you are talking 2/15 of 1 degree or 8/21,600 of a circle. I don't think you'd notice the differance between what you have now & what you are looking at.

Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I am not sure if that is what it means. I know that I was told that under 6 was good. Some of the better ($$) gearboxes have 10arc mins. I can get some cheap boxes that have 5, but can I rely on them? The Thompson, Parker/Bayside and Minarik boxes are in the 500 to a grand range but the keling is $240 and a midrange box from moitiontek is $350. Both Keling and motiontek are advertisers here on the Zone, so I will probably give one of them a try (and save some money).

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

gearbox

Well there's no shock load on the gearbox running a plasma table. Like there would be on say a 3 HP knee mill swinging a fairly large indexable end or face mill.

Personally I've had really good luck with China pillow block bearings & other imports I was actually afraid of the quality till I used them.

I'd want to hold backlash to a minimum even if that cost me a few extra bucks.

I also took a stab at calculating just how much backlash or error 8 arc min would be on a 1" pinion. If I'm in the ballpark there it's about .0001"
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

.0001" is acceptable if I have too, LOL. In use, the closest tolerance I get know is <.010", way outside of the gearbox capabilities. Often .030" is acceptable.

That said, I did buy three 12:1 boxes today from global motion tech/motiontek.ca today. The fit will not be excactly a drop in as the shaft is metric, 15mm so I will have to get some pinions with that bore made. The pinion is a 1" DP. I think I will have to go to a 1.25" dp to get a hub large enough to broach a keyway in. I did a custom build on rushgear.com and got a quote of $1200 ea for 1 or $120 ea for a quantity of 10. Go figure. Anybody know a good place to get pinions in a 24 pitch, 14.5deg build?

I also received the float head Z from K2 yesterday, it is better made than I expected, nice design. It has four 20mm round bearings and two float and two support the main and hold the switch. Very solid. I was worried about the acme leadscrew but it has a natural preload due to its vertical position and the motion is so fluid that it rides on the thread with gravity pulling the slide down. It will be even better once the mount and torch is on it.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Tommy-
    There is a pinion called a stem pinion made by boston gear, where the teeth are special cut, and you can get smaller than 1 inch.

If you want I can take a picture of how I made a hub and installed the pinions on my first set of pinions.

Steve

Steve, That would be great. Is it an adapter? The hub on my pinion is just over .80" and the bore needs to be .59 (15mm). That does not leave much room.

Thanks,
    Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Steve, I just googled it and they don't go to 24pitch, 20, tops. I have a strange set-up I am finding. Looks like you could couple it to an end of a shaft easily enough. Does yours work good?

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Tommy-

My rack and pinion is working great! It is just the rest of the table that sucks.

I will get the pictures tonight when I goto the shop

Steve

Steve, Whats up with your table? I remember the gearbox retro but thought it was all worked out.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Tommy-

When I changed the gearboxes, I had to retune the servos. Then I found out that all the optio isolators were damaged for the servos, and I could not communicate with them to re tune. Fixed that problem, then still could not get the x and A drives to stop getting following errors. Decided to ditch two of the granite devices and switch to the Larkin Viper drive. I have physically installed the drives, but I have not wired them up.

On top of all that, my computer died.

So I have to connect the viper drives, ad reinstall Mach on a pc, and start over

Not looking forward to it at all

Steve

sorry for the delay-

Here are the links to the pictures. There are two different sizes pinions for you to look at

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...d/448eff1e.jpg
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...d/d10b3d37.jpg
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...d/9ee7771b.jpg

Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for the pics! Looks like some high quality gearboxes attached to those pinions.

Problems like that will send you round the bend LOL :drowning:. Keep us posted, I would like to hear your opinion on the new gearbox combo.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

The Thomson planetary gear box show and another common one on Ebay is Bayside.
    This is a link to a large Linde I converted some years ago, rack & pinion axis was 110ft long!.
    I need to Build a 8’ x 30’ cnc plasma table - Page 2 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    I looked at a few Bayside Gb's on ebay (Parker/bayside, same thing?). They have good specs and if you hit it right are a good buy. How do the 90º gb's hold up compared to the inline type? It would be a better fit if I could fit at least one in a tight spot. Can you mix and match types and brands? When a spec says 12:1 or 10:1, does that mean precisely? I remember getting a case of spray paint once that said "closely matches yellow", well it was close but not exact.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I have found the ratio to be extremely accurate.
    There should be no problem mix and matching, I have also used a few of the 90° and found them to be very rugged.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    .0001" is acceptable if I have too, LOL. In use, the closest tolerance I get know is <.010", way outside of the gearbox capabilities. Often .030" is acceptable.

That said, I did buy three 12:1 boxes today from global motion tech/motiontek.ca today. The fit will not be excactly a drop in as the shaft is metric, 15mm so I will have to get some pinions with that bore made. The pinion is a 1" DP. I think I will have to go to a 1.25" dp to get a hub large enough to broach a keyway in. I did a custom build on rushgear.com and got a quote of $1200 ea for 1 or $120 ea for a quantity of 10. Go figure. Anybody know a good place to get pinions in a 24 pitch, 14.5deg build?

I also received the float head Z from K2 yesterday, it is better made than I expected, nice design. It has four 20mm round bearings and two float and two support the main and hold the switch. Very solid. I was worried about the acme leadscrew but it has a natural preload due to its vertical position and the motion is so fluid that it rides on the thread with gravity pulling the slide down. It will be even better once the mount and torch is on it.

WSS
    WSS , I paid about $30.00 for a 12" piece of spur gear from GROB. It is working well for my machine. You can make the hole and hub any size you want and have extra to spare.

Steel Spur Gear - Grob, Inc.

Magma-joe